Best filter for a betta

ty6464

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2004
Georgia, USA
Visit site
I am planning on turning a 5 gallon hex I have laying around into a betta condo. Unfortuanately I lost the hood a few years back so I have no filter. I am planning on using sand as a substrate and a betta and possibly a snail will inhabit it. What do you guys think the best filter for this would be? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
One thing you will have to determine is if the filter will fit on one side of the hex. Some filters will be too large. There are quite a few small filters out there. I think the Penguin Mini would fit, and probably the Eheim Liberty 100. I'm not sure about a Whisper or an Aquaclear. If possible, get a filter with adjustable flow (Penguins don't have that, but I believe Whispers and Libertys do). Make sure you measure the width of the side of your hex tank, and take a tape measure when you go shopping.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would say the one you linked to really isn't the best filtration for the money. I believe Whisper filters have adjustable flow, so you can turn them down if it's bothering the betta.

There are other, better (and cheaper) internal filters, if that's the way you want to go.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I've used the Penn-Plax Small World Pump before (still do in fry tanks) in my 3 gallon betta tanks. It works pretty good, but not realy ideal for any of the 3 types of filtration because you need to replace the whole thing each month. I did notice that I had less algea issues using this filter than with a basic UGF.

The Whisper internal is what I would suggest on the LOWEST possible flow setting, if it will fit.

the new whisper 2-5i that you buy seperatly from the minibow kit is NOT adjustable. I was very dissapointed when I found that out.

I've used a penguin mini on a 2 gallon hex...I just lifited the intake to scale back the flow...it worked ok...but was a bit much in a 2g.

In that tank, I'd go with a azoo palm like asheigh suggested.