best flake food?

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
just wondering what kind of flake food people prefered to feed their fish, or what is the best high quality flake? In, particular, tetras, bettas, and kuhli loaches.

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
have you tried asking your lfs?they may have a good idea. they might pick what they want you to buy. khuli loaches will prob eat sinking pellets or wafers of some kind and the other fish should be fine on a flakes brand such as aquarian but its best to buy and try. see what suits your fish. bloodworm is a great food for all fish that can eat it. most if not all, love it and it should be fed every other day or once a week is best if you have it.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
a good brand of flake should be fine for those kinds of fish. I use tetra pro, and my fish love them. For bettas, freeze dried (or frozen) are a good treat but for a staple hikari betta-bio gold pellets are great!
also, as dan said, bloodworm is a good treat for fish. So you can use a good flake then once a week or so, throw in some frozen bloodworm for them :).
for the khulis, at night take a pinch of flake and hold it under water so it sinks, the khulis will go straight after it.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Look for a flake that has whole fish (not fish meal) as the first ingredient. Those are the highest quality flakes.

Of course, a varied diet with live or fresh (or frozen) foods a couple of times a week will keep your fish in top condition.

dbleoh7

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2006
when i had 3 platys, i fed them that tetra pro stuff for a few months and then switched to one that was recommended to me by the LFS staff. they wouldn't eat certain colored flakes from it so there was always uneaten flakes on the bottom of my tank, so i had to switch back to the tetra pro.