Best food?

Sal329

New Fish
Jun 28, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
What are some of the foods I should be giving to my fish? Gourami, Rainbows, Tetra, Clown loaches. I have Algae wafers, vegetable pellets and tropical fish flake.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Get the best processed foods that you can, Floating and sinking,(Tetra, Nutra fin etc), and different examples of each (at least four and more if poss). and suppliment with frozen and fresh wherever poss. Try to include live and veg/fruit. If you do, make sure that the food is organic (Less chemical residue) Peeled and washed, (Same again) and varied, small worms are often taken greedily, but remember to wash anything that comes in from the garden, and to take them from an area that has not had chemical treatments (Pestacides,fertilisers etc).
My Clowns (And most of my other fish) L O V E Bananas, Peeled peas / Sweetcorn (husks are a complete B*****D in the fish tank), Cherries, peaches and Kiwi fruit. but try anything and remember the favorites.
If you raise your own live food (Mosquitoe lavae and Daphnia will thrive in absolutely anything) make sure that it is clean and well rinsed before being fed to the fish.
enjoy. and remember to laugh at some of the funnier sights that you'll see.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
A good flake staple food, my own preference is TetraMin Pro, alternate with a good spirulina based flake, frozen food ... once a week I feed frozen daphnia to keep their intestinal tract in good order. Dried bloodworms, and shrimp. Algae wafers for the SAE;s, loaches. I use TetraMin bottom-feeder tabs a couple of times a week to make sure the cories are getting what they need.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
While some fish are very specific about what thay will eat, MOST fish will eat almost anything. When in the wild thay come across all sorts of organic matter and have to eat what thay can. Fresh and detritus, animal vegitable . the whole enchalada. Keep feeding to managable levels . follow the simple rules outlined above,and all will be fine. Feeding nothing but top quality processed food to the manufacturers reccomendations, will do your fish no harm at all. But thay enjoy a little extra and in moderation it will be good for them. As long as the total amounts are not excessive then the natural filtering functions will break down any residue as with any organic matter in the tank.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
For dry food, I would get Tetra ColorBits. They can be eaten by fish in all layers of the tank. They float on the top, so top-swimmers can eat them. They sink slowly, so mid-level swimmers can get them. And whatever the others don't get, the bottom feeders can eat. All my fish love them. If you think the Clowns aren't getting enough, try TetraMin tablets.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I agree with what Timbo has said.Fish will eat almost anything.Personally though I can't be bothered breeding food or preparing it for them so I just feed shop bought stuff.They get everything they need and a good variety of dry and frozen.
Currently they have a choice of frozen Community Mix or Brine Shrimp,dry Tetra Min flake,algae wafers,Tetra Variety Wafers,Interpet granules,DuplaRin micro pellets,catfish sinkers,freeze dried Tubiflex and freeze dried bloodworm.
It's always a good idea to mix manufacturers aswell as food types.