Best Ground Cover - Dwarf Sag vs. Micro Sword?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
I bought a pot of each at the LFS.
Any appreciable differences between the two that I should take into consideration when planning for their use as ground-cover?

Will one retain a 'softer,' more lush look to it?

Is one better-suited to staying lower (with some pruning, of course) than the other?

Right now the micro sword definitely has a softer, lush-look to it than the dwarf sag. The micro sword also seems like it might be more suited for keeping short than the dwarf sag.

Any thoughts?

BV

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
My instinct was to go with the micro-sword too. Thanks for the feedback---always nice to get a second opinion. I guess I should just toss the dwarf sag. then?

BV

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes definately the microsword.
If you already have the dwarf sag, I wouldn't toss it out. You could plant it right behind the Microsword once you get it. It would be kind of a "double" carpet effect. I don't know lol. Do whatever you want BV:)

Smalltank

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
nooo, no toss dwarf sag! LOL For some reason this is my all time favorite plant, if you don't want it, send it over here! LOL Mine is not spreading fast enough!

I want some microsword too though, but that can wait. I agree it's more lush (hence the reason I want it, fry and baby cherry shrimp) but I personally think the d. sag. has a better look to it.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Well, the best I can do is keep the single pot of dwarf sag in my 3 gal. tank (2.0 WPG) until I get rid of it. With the cold weather, and one failed plant shipment (destination: me) because of it that happened recently, do you think it's worth hanging onto to ship?

I'm thinking I'll end up tossing it. :eek:

BV

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
poopa's 'chain sword' is not micro sword. Micro sword is far more difficult to grow, but it is a lush ground cover. I like 'micro sword' over D. sag, but the sag is a great mid ground plant or ground cover in a large aquarium (75g or above).