Best place to place your heater

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
by putting it in the sump you dont have to clutter your tank with a bunch of equipment (besides adding water volumn sumps are basiccly for equipment and such)

An inline model like Wayne said would be sweet though!

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
sump if you have one. if not, any inconspicuous place on the back wall of the tank where there is significant current. a lot fo people like to put them in corners. I don't unless there is current in the corner (i.e. a powerhead is blowing into that space). i did see a good heater made particularly short and fat so it could sit in the well of a HOB filter like a penguin.... sounded interesting, but I like my ebo-jager too much.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
What is the difference in placing it and sump or tank? That is besides the aesthetic value.

I currently have it in the sump. My assumption is that placing it in the sump would create a better temperature gradient in the water since my sump is a 20 gallon tank. Half of the tank is occupied with bio balls and live rocks. Other half contains such thing as heater and etc. The water level in the tank is about half. This means 10 gal of water is quickly heated by 300W heater and pumped by at 1200GPH. This creating a better temperature uniformity in the tank.

If this assumption is wrong, please let me know.

Rohn