Best placement for two powerheads.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I just bought two penguin 660 power heads for my 55 gallon tank. I was wondering where the best place to put them would be. Right now I have them on the back on each half of the tank blowing at about a 45 degree angle towards each other. What would you recommend? Can I fully submerge the power heads? TIA!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I started on a 55 with 2 powerheads and placed them like yours. It was cool, but it created dead spots. So i had plently of crap piling up next to the front window. If your moves 170gph it may not be enough, or since they shoot toward each other their moving power can be annihilated. I dunno how you placed your rocks. I have a total of 5 now so no more deadspots...but it's not very pretty to see. Should have bought big Seio or Tunze ones. Large flow, powerfull. If you plan to add some other, check'em out...they really are better. I submerge my powerheads even tough they aren't supposed to. No electric shock.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
has alot to do with your rock work (if there pointed directly into the back of a rock it wouldnt be as effective, etc...) 2 is a great place to start but I would keep adding some to prevent dead spots as Kalhlua said, dead spots are the enemy!

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I just got the tank filled and I tested it out. I have them kind of in the middle pointing away from each other. Now I have some what of a dead spot right in the middle of the tank. I think one more of the 175 GPH would be good for me. I don't have anything else in the tank right now like rocks, etc. I just got all the equipment I needed. My next purchase is going to be LR.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I do have one more question about the powerhead. It comes with a hose that has a valve on it so you can adjust the air intake. The water that comes out is real bubbly. If I close the valve thingie no bubbles come out. Which way do I want?