Best water conditions for African Cichlids

Apr 30, 2011
WV
I am just starting a cichlid tank, I have only a couple African Cichlids in my 55 gallon tank right now. My question is... What are the "perfect" water conditions... in other words what is the exact number range in which everything should be?

Also, what is the best diet for African Cichlids... someone told me frozen, but frozen what????

Last edited:

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
What lake in Africa are you talking about? I've never kept African cichlids of any sort, but I've been doing a lot of research into Tanganyika lake cichlids so I can help you out if that's the ones you're interested in.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; The forum seems to be having problems. The new post button is not working for me. I also have to hit refresh a few times to get a new post to show up in each forum category. This may explain the lack of posts.

One thought; what is the Ph of your water supply? I have found it less of a headache to go with fish that are suited to the water I have than to try to change the water. Ph is tricky to fool with.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Yes. True, there's is such thing as a "perfect" pH, one that's close but constant will do better for the fish. Any African lake is going to need a high one though, so shoot for atleast 7.5 and higher.

Apr 30, 2011
WV
Ok, so I can't see any posts on my computer, although it says there are 4. I checked my iPhone and saw them... obviously there is something up with the forum! I tried to clear my browsing history and everything nothing is working soo....

I know someone asked what lake... I believe they are Lake Malawi. That is what I was told. I know one of them is a yellow lab and one is a Jewel and maybe an albino redfin (?) of those sound right. IDK!!!!!!

So if I am right about the Lake Malawi, what should my numbers be at for the water and what should I feed them???? Anyone know??????

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
Ok, so I can't see any posts on my computer, although it says there are 4. I checked my iPhone and saw them... obviously there is something up with the forum! I tried to clear my browsing history and everything nothing is working soo....

I know someone asked what lake... I believe they are Lake Malawi. That is what I was told. I know one of them is a yellow lab and one is a Jewel and maybe an albino redfin (?) of those sound right. IDK!!!!!!

So if I am right about the Lake Malawi, what should my numbers be at for the water and what should I feed them???? Anyone know??????
Googling the name or species of fish should provide information you seek.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Frozen pizzas, maybe? Serioulsy though, we feed the cichlids in the 180 gal tank cichlid pellets and flake.

Cichlids enjoy a higher pH. I never use and chemicals or add-in products. Throw in some holey rock, that should help regulate the pH and make it higher. What is your current pH?