best way to clean the brown algae?

calikas

Medium Fish
Mar 25, 2006
can u tell me the best way to get that brown algae off the inside glass.i know it just wipes off but what should i use,sponge,rag,,hand

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
There's two main items you can get that's out there.

1. Algae scraper on a stick
2. Algae scraper on a magnet

haha.

Personally, I used the one on the stick just because it was cheap ($2) and because I have small tanks. There's a more coarse side and soft side, depending on how well the algae has grown. You just soak the sponge stick in water and wipe. Repeat. When you're all finished, it looks great. However, my sponge stick is starting to tear...

The other method is more advance. With the magnet (1 attached to front/back) you never have to deal with outside water. This is also convenient because it is precise. You can get them in different shapes, sizes, and colors. I have never used a magnet before, but all goes well.

There's a third way--chemicals. I wouldn't recommend it. Oh yeah, I don't suggest you use a rag.

Hope you found this useful.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
A siphon and magnet are practically useless in cleaning brown "diatomic" algae. They form around SiO4 and PO4 molecules and thus they tend to be hard, not slimly and soft like green algae.
The best thing is to get a good scrapper and scrub the algae off the glass.

Rohn

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
I had the same algae problem two days ago. I cured it with buying another snail and most of it had disappeared only a small little spot or two still there. Two snails are better than one you could say lol. So maybe try that see if it works. If not rinse the decorations, and use and algae magnet.

May 8, 2006
Tennessee
I just use a scrapper on stick because like someone said it is cheap and is very effective. Depends on how bad you got it I suppose if you got it anywhere else other then the inside of the class then a scrapper isn't going to help you get rid of that.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
When I have outbreaks, I just use my acrylic aquarium scrubber pad (im sure there are some for glass aquariums too). It works like a charm and it was super cheap (cant remember off the top of my head, but that means if was a pretty miniscule amount, lol).