BEST WAY TO TRANSPORT A 95 GAL TANK W/ FISH

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i was just wondering whats the easy way to transport a 95 gal tank w/ live fish? someone gave us a tank and my bf is picking it up today. we have been trying to figure out what is the easiest way to get it to our house (we don't live far from where we are picking it up). and how long should i wait untill before putting the fish back in. someone told us to save some of the water, but i don't know because its such a large tank. please help, i came here bc i figure you guys would now what to do.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Just put the fish in bags if you can get them for the LFS or even buckets will work. Just remeber not to fill the buckets up completely, just half full. Stressed fish tend to jump and if you hit a bump you will end up with water everywhere. And trust me it doesnt take much. :p

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Get a few buckets, put the fish and some of the existing water in the buckets, drain the tank, put the filter media, gravel, and decor in aother bucket with water. Once you get it home, put the gravel, decor and filter media back in and fill 1/2 way with dechlorinated water, do your aquascaping while acclimating the fish to the new water, and then put the fish and water from the buckets in.

At least that's how I move any of our tanks. With a tank that large, leaving anything in the tank when you move it (IE water or gravel) is not a good idea, with small tanks, I usually leave the gravel, plants, filter media, and a little water in the tank, eliminates the need for the other bucket.

Rubbermaid type tubs work great for this and they are fairly cheap if you don't have any buckets.

Edit: LOL FishGeek beat me too it, the bucket advice is a great thing, I forgot to mention that part, NEVER more than half full, it makes for a huge mess, and that'd be the least of my worries...

Last edited:

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Saving the water isn't really important. I would transport the fish in tank water, and use that water in the tank once it's set back up, but it isn't really important. What is important is keeping your filter wet. I would make sure you keep filter media in the buckets with the fish.

Check out this thread for some more thoughts:

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...ed-3-000-miles-my-fish-update-after-move.html

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I just moved a 55G about 50miles.

I just broke the tank down while I was at sellers house. Its easier than it sounds, just make sure you have a SUV or a truck and two people. Tank/stand/decorations fit a lot tighter than I thought it would in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Also bring all of your own equipment (siphon, towels, etc.) If I didn’t bring mine, I would have to sit thru 50miles of traffic to get home and make another trip out there to drain the tank.

The seller already sold her fish so transporting them wasn’t an issue.

Good luck and welcome to the tank!

:)

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
another question?

if i put the fish in a cooler and have the lid closed how long will they live. i only live about 15 mins from the seller, but i was also considering the amount of time it will put the tank together.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
I just got a 90g tank (without fish this time) and just remember unless you are a strong girl....get your bf to bring a strong friend. Those tanks are very heavy.

Not to long ago I got a 65 with fish and I put them in buckets with lids just for the trip. You can get them cheap from Home Depot or like stores.

When I put my tank back together it took me the whole day BUT that was because we went with sand and rocks from a brook near by. Sand takes a while to rinse the actul set up would have been less if we used what came with it. As J said keep the meadia wet. Toss it in one of the buckets with the fish then you should be fine. If it has a bio wheel toss that in as well.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Fill the cooler up about halfway (make sure the cooler is really clean first-or you can get one of those styrofoam ones), and they should be fine for a few hours at least. Just like a really big, well insulated bag... as long as there's air at the top, they're fine for quite a while.