beta dying?

newFishmom

Large Fish
Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
Hey, guys! I've got a beta that I've had for about 2 years in a 2-gal jug that I clean 1x/wk. Starting in about December, he is so listless. He just lays on the bottom of the bowl and every so often he'll swim up for air. Occasionally he'll swim around sort-of listing to the side and then settle back to the bottom.

I want to put him out of his misery if he's suffering. Any clues as to what's going on and/or what I should do? I've just continued feeding and changing his water as always...

Thanks!

newFishmom

Large Fish
Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
the room stays around 78 degrees (F), and the fish tank (on table next to him) has a therm that says 84. I would expect the two are probably the same temp. I suspected it might be that in the winter, but when he didn't perk up once it warmed up, I didn't know what to think...

Thanks!

newFishmom

Large Fish
Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
so you think it's just a temp issue... OK. I just didn't want him to be in pain or whatever. Distress.

Answer to chazwick: the 10-gal tank he's sitting next to was originally set up just for him--til he started eating everybody in it! I really would like him to be in that tank as it matches his color scheme and all, but he doesn't play well with others (as I'm sure you know) despite what the lfs says.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Actually at 2 yrs old (in your care) the ol boy is in his golden yrs. What you need to remember about LFS bettas is they are normally at least a yr old when you buy them. So at that estimate he is probably just starting to slow down. You may want to look into getting him a fish walker.

newFishmom

Large Fish
Sep 1, 2004
Abalammie
Visit site
well, now, shoot. see? THAT's what I was worried about--him getting old and decrepit and me making him suffer through it. So will he just poop out and die or am I prolonging his misery?

(I have a theory these guys are like whales--you know how they like to jump out of their tanks and all. I don't fill his bowl up enough to give him that option. comments--other than 'yer nuts'?)

It pains me to see him this way. We renamed him Mike Tyson the fish b/c he likes to bite his fishy friends, and my 2 and 3 year old really love him. It's silly I know to be so attached to a fish, but heck, this is a fish forum after all.

sigh.