Beta not eating

LadyR

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2012
West Bountiful, Ut
I have one Beta in a 5gal hex tank, with one algae eater (the other one I can't find, even a small piece?) and it's not a new tank. But the last couple of months, he's not eating much at all. He hangs out mostly at the bottom of the tank. I've been testing the water and the ph 7.6, ammonia and nitrites/nitrates are 0, and hardness is closer to 300, total alk 120. I do at least 25% wc once weekly. The pet store told be to add aquarium salt to help the beta, and that's been 3wks now and it at first seemed better, but we're back to not so good. Iv'e tried changing his food from pellets to brine shrimp and he's not to thrilled about that either. What am I missing??? He's been at my desk at work for a year and half and has been great until maybe the time change. I also have 2 plants growing in his tank. Ideas??

Feb 27, 2009
With nitrates at 0, the tank does not show to be completed with the nitrogen cycle. How are you testing? Can you confirm the readings with a local pet store that uses a liquid test kit?

LadyR

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2012
West Bountiful, Ut
I retested using a 5 in 1 strip and the nitrates are 20. The rest is what I had stated. My bad I think. Any chance I should take out the fake tree? Its been there a few months to act as a break for the water coming out the filter. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Is it possible he is an old fish - bettas are kind of "man made fish" and for that reason may not live as long. Also you don't mention the temperature of the water - I have noticed mine have been more active with water 78 -80. I also keep some floating fake plants in my tanks which they seem to like to rest on and be close to the surface for oxygen.

LadyR

Small Fish
Apr 24, 2012
West Bountiful, Ut
It's possible he's older. That's about the only reason we can figure out as well. I've personally had him for almost a year and a half, so anything is possible. He has been hanging out on top of the heater, very close to the top of the tank. But even keeping a couple of pellets of food in his tank, he doesn't seem to eat them. That tank is also kept about 78-80 and it hasn't changed for sometime. So I guess we're just watching him age albeit poorly, but I've offered the best I can. I appreciate all the help on this one.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
And the male will kill the two females - do a little research on that response!!! It is obvious you are not familiar with bettas.[/QUOTE

I know what im talking about Ive had them all my life. Two females and one male will work..
Hello; This should be interesting if we all play nice and stick to information we can back up. Has anyone else been able to keep a male betta and two females together in an open small tank?

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Now that I thought about it, the Beta is probably too old. You have to learn fish are replaceable. Usually buying a new fish is cheaper than buying medications to help a fish that might not make it.
Hello; While this may be correct in terms of money, I ,and I suspect many on this forum, try to relieve suffering of sick fish and do what can be done to help. I have ended the lives of fish at times to end continued suffering. Often the best that can be done is to place the sick fish in a tank alone to give the chance of recovery without the stress of being picked at by tankmates. I have isolated them in a net suspended in the tank for this purpose.

Back to the thread topic. This may be a long shot, but I some times feed a bit of the inside of an uncooked canned sweet pea. I have done it for a change in diet, but many have posted that the peas are good to relieve constipation. I seem to recall my male bettas taking them. Good luck with your betta.