beta questions

Mar 6, 2005
Hi I just got a new male beta and I have a couple questions. One, do betas like to see other betas? I mean, if they are in seperate tanks? Also do they like toys? Or mirrors? Any help would be much appreciated by myself and my beta Compromise. :)

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
Male bettas will flare up at eachother if you keep 'em in separate tanks next to eachother. I'm sure they'll get used to it eventually and stop, but it's stressful for the fish I'm guessing.

As for toys, my betta has a little plastic plant and he seems to like it. He rests under it and in between the leaves when he's not doing anything. It's ok to show 'em a mirror once and a while from what I've read to give them a little "exercise". Mine flares up at the reflection and does laps around the tank. Once I even caught my betta flaring up at the Hikari fish picture on the food dispenser! haha. I remember to keep it turned around or away from him now... :p

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They'll get used to eachother. It doesn't hurt them any to flare up at eachother. Eventually, they'll ignore eachother. If you have a really aggressive betta, then you might want to keep them out of line of sight, but other than that two can see eachother.

robbo

New Fish
Apr 18, 2005
is my beta ill?

my blue male beta fish has a dark spot on his top and the dorsal fin has gone dark and tatty ,does anyone know what might be worng and how i could treat it.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I think using a mirror now and then would be cool, but permanently placing a mirror next to the tank might cause a continuous source of stress for the fish, shortening his life or decreasing the quality of it for him. It would be like you always thinking a burglar is outside trying to break in and steal all your food and your women.

djlactose

Small Fish
May 9, 2005
Last edited: