Beta

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
My male red betta named Beta recently passed away. He was three years old. Such a beautiful fish. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and looked at all the betta fish that need homes. I found a beautiful silver blue/red fish with super short fins. The top fin looks like it was the "normal size" but the other two fins are really short. I understand that usually betta fish are at least one years old before they are sold to any store. My question is, will these short fins grow or is my fish a deformed betta? His body size excluding fins is approximately one inch. I have been adding Melafix to his water thinking this will help his fins grow. Am I doing all that I can to help this fish grow "regular" sized fins or will the fins not grow? Appreciate anyone's response.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
yeah it could have damaged fins, or it could be deformed...or be like my betta who likes eatin his fins when he is bored for some reason...his tail fin keeps on getting shorter lol

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
yah my bettas chew their tails as well when they get too long, it must bother them or it makes them think its another betta or something i do not know but it is common, mine do it every few months, but they still look good.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
My digital camera broke so I won't be able to post a picture but my fish does look better. His color has improved and fins have grown. He just loves his 2.5 gal tank. Swims all the time back and forth, so much personality. I think he may have had fin rot when I picked him up because the back tail looked kind of gray/black. Thanks to everyone for their comments.