betas & snails & lots of other questions

kcormier

Small Fish
Mar 6, 2009
Hey all. I have a beta that's just not eating. While I have some snails that came on live plants, I've noticed that I don't seem to be getting a lot of them as expected (compared to previous experiences). I'm wondering if he's eating baby snails and that's why he's not eating his fish food.

I have lots of other questions regarding live plants and such. I've had a lot of tanks but it's been a long time since I gave it up. I'm excited to get back into it but hoping you guys can help me do it the right way!

-Kevin

kcormier

Small Fish
Mar 6, 2009
bump?

i really could use the help here. I gave up caring for fish maybe 10 years back, but found a betta that had been left in it's little cup the pet stores use to send them home for almost 5 days. When I first got him he was floating on his side and very bloated. I immediately got him a 10 gallon tank and got him set up in his new home (after de-chlorinating and letting the water sit and such). It's been a month and he swims and seems to be doing much better. I'm pretty much broke so I'm doing what I can with my money but I'm really trying to save this fish and I really could use a little help guys.

I went and got live plans with the best of intentions knowing that he was already stressed and could use as much hiding space as possible. Plus the plastic plants were tearing his fins. The plants ended up not having enough light so they died and naturally without a filter or fish that eat plants or anything they turned the water to hell. I've since cleaned the tank. I know it's a bad thing to do as it will bloom again but in rinsed the gravel (as it was filled with dead plant matter and needed to be cleaned). I let the water sit in the tank and adjust to room temp for 24 hours while the betta was in a bowl. He's now back in the tank (which actually restarting blooming without him in it which means there was some bacteria left in the gravel i'm assuming). I've also gotten a better test kit. No nitrate or nitrite. Ammonia was about .5 ppm but as far as i can tell that's not too bad considering the tank is blooming. My ph was always off the charts so I got a high range test kit and it's 8.0 from the tap. I had no idea it was so high so it looks like while i'm living here the stuff to bring ph down will be my best friend. I'm going to slowly lower the tank (as it's what he's been living in for about a month now) and make sure that the water I add is always the same as the tank, or at least much closer and well below 8 once i get the tank to a good point).

Temp is just under 80. I don't have a heater but the room is staying pretty damn warm and considering I don't have really any windows i'm not fixing that.

I'm a poor college kid trying to get back into having my own aquarium. I'm really trying to get this tank set up and save this fish. Please help me not kill it. Is there anything else I can do or should do to save this fish? Also if the snails come back (if there are eggs in the gravel) I'm really curious will the betta eat them?

-Kevin

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
Hi, kcormier, and welcome! :)
Sorry, I don't know much at all about bettas, so I don't know how much help I will be able to offer.
As far as the pH goes, yes 8.0 may be considered high, but you shouldn't have to drastically reduce the pH. If you get it down to 7.6 or 7.8 I think you'll be fine. That might be what happened to your plants. I once read somewhere that at or above 8.0 the plants can't respire properly (pick up CO2 and release O2). Just a thought.
I suspect that rinsing out the gravel may have caused a mini-cycle? I'm not really sure what you mean by blooming- was the water cloudy, or do you mean alge bloom...
Also, you don't have a filter, is that correct? Again, I don't know much about bettas and what they need. I have heard debate as to whether they need a filter or not. But since your guy is in a 10G, he has lots of space, and I think the water quality would be more forgiving. So the filter may not be necessary as long as you keep up with consistent water changes. I could be wrong here. Hopefully a betta keeper will come along soon and offer some more advice. :)

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Welcome!

Okay, whenever the ammonia gets to 1.0 or above, do about a 50% water change, matching temp and using a dechlorinator. If nitrite gets to 1.0, do the same. Keep nitrates at or below 20. These steps will keep your water from becoming toxic to your fish. When you do a water change, use the siphon to suck detritus out of the gravel, as when that stuff rots it releases ammonia. This would have been the preferred way to get the rotten plant matter out of your tank without killing off the bacterial colonies. If you don't have a gravel vacuum/water siphon, they're really pretty cheap at the fish/pet stores, or you could use a clean piece of tubing if you have any lying around. You should never have to completely break the tank down and scrub it.

Now, as to pH.... Leave it alone. Changes in pH will make your fish sick; however, he can and will adjust to your pH of 8. If you wish to mimic natural conditions, you can put a piece of driftwood in the tank, and that will lower the pH a bit. Make sure not to include any limestone-containing rocks, though, as that will make the water harder and stabilize the pH at the higher level. Throw out the pH-adjusting liquids, though, because using them just puts your tank at risk of having dangerous pH swings.

Your betta would really benefit from a filtered tank. Watch freecycle and craigslist for free aquarium stuff. You should be able to score a filter of some sort before long. Once you get a filter, you can probably do 25% water changes once a week to keep nitrates down to an acceptable level. Until then, test the water every day or every other day for a couple or three weeks until you get a sense of how often you need to do partial water changes to keep ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in the acceptable range.

Oh, yeah... don't feed more than once a day, and be sure not to feed so much that a bunch drops into the gravel, or you will have water quality problems. Since your little guy started out in a bad way it's doubly important to keep his water in good shape. Once a week feed him some vegetable matter other than flakes, for instance part of a thawed frozen pea (just mash a bit of it between your fingers and drop it in -- no hull), as it will keep him from becoming constipated. He's constipated if he gets a string of poo hanging off him -- blecchh, not very attractive.

ETA: Instead of a frozen pea you could give him thawed frozen bloodworms. Bettas eat insect larvae in the wild, and I've never had one that wouldn't go for bloodworms. But this should be a treat food, not a staple. Betta food should be for everyday feedings.

If you can't get even a java fern to live in the tank, I suggest silk (fabric) plants so as not to tear his fins. He does need something to rest on other than the bottom of the tank, and java fern has nice broad leaves. If the only place he has to sit is on the bottom, he's at risk for fin rot from dragging his fins over the gravel with the fish food and waste in it in between vacuumings. I'm sure you've noticed that with those long, flowing fins he gets tired of swimming sometimes and just sits and rests.

Snails -- it depends on his temperament. I've had bettas who picked snails to death, but I've had one or two that just ignored them.

Here's a website I really like in regard to betta care: betta care There's lots of good info there.

Last edited:

kcormier

Small Fish
Mar 6, 2009
thank you so much for all the advice. Would it be advisable to try and slowly lower the ph with the chemicals? With the next paycheck I'll probably get a filter, followed by an aerator and some silk plants. When i said bloom before i did mean a mini cycle. My goal is to get this tank established and slowly add to it until I can have a tank that supports both live plants and other fish. After I graduate (a few months) and find a steady job I'll probably move up to a much larger tank, keeping the small one for breeding and/or quarantine.

I'm really excited to get back into caring for fish. Just out of curiosity, what is the term for caring for fish...what would i call myself or the act of having a fish tank?

-Kevin