Betta and a cherry barb

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
I've read that cherry barbs are sort of a loner fish and am thinking of adding one to my tank. Has anyone kept cherry barbs with a betta before? My betta seems fine with tankmates, but I'm a little worried about the cherry colour of the barb. If that won't work, is there any other small fish that will do well solo in a 5.5g with a betta?

Dud

New Fish
Apr 24, 2005
NO! Your tank is pretty muched fully stocked as it is! if you wanted you could have,
2 adf's
1 betta
3 otto's (otto's like to be kept in groups)
But ONLY if you'r willing to keep up on maint & making sure the otto's get enough food :)
If you don't want to do too much maint you should just get a couple more otto's :)

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
I know that cherry barbs can sometimes nip the fins of your betta so I dont think thats a good idea to put it in with the betta even though its calm around other fish. You can try some cories, to scavange the bottom but your number of them is very limited so I would just keep the betta in there alone. The bettas rather prefer to be alone.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'd say no for a couple of different reasons. Although I don't think the barb would nip at the betta, I think the betta might attack the barb because of the red color. Also, even cherry barbs are active fish. They really shouldn't be kept in anything as small as 5 gallons... I've heard even a 10 really isn't enough room for them.