betta and filter

jjhabe

Medium Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Portland, OR
I just got a new betta and after getting his tank ready, I put him in. He seems to hate the filter! He stays on the other side of the tank and then if I unplug it, he'll swim around. Do I leave it, get rid of it, or is there some way to make it a little less powerful? It's a small air pump. made for 2.5 gallon tanks. Thanks!

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
Bettas are fish that take air from the surface. Many bettas are kept in jars without any air pump or filter. Most bettas prefer a tank with no current. I am just wondering do you have an underground filter by any chance?

jjhabe

Medium Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Portland, OR
No. This filter sucks though. I bought it because the old one broke when we moved and I got a bigger tank so I decided to put a betta and two adf's in. This thing bubbles all over and actually splashes. The fish is okay now, it seems. He's swimming around and exploring. Now I don't know if I should just leave it alone or unplug it and do bi-weekly water changes!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I was assuming that the air pump is attached to airline which has an airstone at the end, down the vertical pipe of an undergravel filter like many small tanks have. Just a pipe making bubbles in a tank is not filtration...thats why I made the assumption.

Just because bettas breathe air from the surface doesn't mean that they dont appreciate filtered, good quality, warm water to live in. Good water quality will help keep disease to a minimum.

And I guess I didn't see your statement in the beginning...if you put a gang valve on the airline hose you can turn the air flow up and down. You should be able to find one at most any aquarium store...

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Has anyone tried putting a Betta into a 3 gal Eclipse tank? I was planning on doing so but didnt realize that the current/water flow might make it annoyed. Is it ok to put him in there?

Because of the biowheel, the filter will need to be on constantly so I'm wondering if the betta will adapt to it.

timmie2

Small Fish
Nov 1, 2005
I keep all my bettas in filtered tanks. At first, they seem wary of the little bit of current, but they all seem to get used to it. Sometimes they even play in the current a bit. I think it is just the big change from the tiny cup to the seemingly huge space with movement.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
yeah i think im gonna put my betta in my 3 gal Eclipse. First I'm gonna put alot of plants and floating plants to break up the flow/current. That should help them out a bit.