Betta and Ram

simplyfish

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2008
I have a friend from whom I rescued a number of fish recently, he has a 5 gallon picture frame tank which he had massively overstocked with innapropriate fish (Bala, 3 Danios, 8 mixed Tetras and an Algae eater....) I got him down to a Betta, a couple of cardinals, and a small unidentified algae eater.

Anyway, I'm pleased to say he has managed to get a lot more interested in his Fish and is now buying a bigger tank, not huge but about a 10G Biorb, he is going to move over the existing fish and wants to add in a Ram or poss 2 as he likes the one in my 10G.

This is at the top end of the stocking levels for that size of tank, we are trying to ID the algae eater, I may post on here seperately for that. But I was wondering if anyone had put a Ram with a Betta? Am worried that the Betta might attack the Ram as opposed to the other way round.

Any thoughts anyone?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I don't think I woudl do it. Rams need pristine water quality and bettas (I love them I own plenty!) are messy little buggers. They're also both exceedingly territorial fish.

If he really wants a ram I would tell him to leave the betta in the 5G (he'll be very happy there) and build the 10 for a pair of rams and a couple ottos. Plant it, plan for it from the begining with that in mind when looking at filtration and the like. It'll be a beautiful tank (see Alter's journal for what he's done similarly) and a happy healthy one.