betta and snail tank help, and start up

mandakay

Small Fish
Feb 9, 2006
southren KY
well, as some of you know i have been researching fish, becuase i have been wanting some for a while now.
i have finally decided that i want a betta and a snail. but what sort of tank should i buy.
anyone with an recomendations? i am thinking a 5 gallon. every one i see has a light in it. what is really the purpose of this? if its for heating then when you turn it off at night it wouldnt heat.
either way, light or no light i have to get a heater for it. the house stays about 68 (its a basment house)
what kind of heater should i be looking at?
i know some filters have too much of a strong current for bettas, what filter should i use.
i was shopping online and looking at my tank options. i would like to share this one with you
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...224&enemerch=1
see this one has a light. that conserns me. if i have a light on durring the day wouldnt it warm the tank? and then i would have to have my heater which in combanation with the light may make it too hot for betta? should i have the light on with no heater during the day. then light off with heater on during the night. or not even use the light at all?
i am also interesting in these tanks
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...=796263&R=6224
does anyone else have this? its vey important that it is noiseless where i will not be hearing any water trinkle or motor running. (im a very light sleeper)

i really do apperchiate all the help i have been getting through this forum.
(sorry about my bad spelling)
i was also looking at some "betta water" that is in a bottle it says Super oxygenated water is the solution for small, non-aerated fish bowls. Betta water is the pure and healthy water that makes water changes simple and easy.
do i need this.
also i take it i need a theomoter, Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner, the heater (of course) some freeze dried blood worms, some regular betta food, possible some alega wafers for my snail, and possbily some test strips to check my ph balance, etc before i put my betta and snail it.
and i suppose i really should get some decorations like a place to hide, and of course some gravel. is dyed gravel safe to use? i recall reading somewhere that it can make your water cloudy?
anything else?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Any size tank from a 2gal on up should be okay. My betta is in a 10gal because that is what I had.
The light is mainly just for your viewing of the fish, unless it is to be a planted tank. That's another whole subject, though. I think I'd start out without a planted tank for now.
The heater is thermostatically controlled, so the water won't get hotter just because the light is on, the heater only comes on when the water cools down too much. You can buy a heater based on what size tank you have; it says on the heater package what size tank it is for.
Bettas don't like much surface movement of the water, so some filters aren't suitable for them. I have use a simple sponge filter in the past. I've also used undergravel filtration, both of those types with a gang valve on the airline to control the amount of bubbles. Right now I have a whisper power filter on my betta tank, but I had to cut down the splashing by putting a piece of pantyhose over the part where the water comes out. It works okay, but is not ideal.
Actually, you don't really have to use filtration with a betta, just change out some of the water regularly.
As for 'betta water', that sounds a whole bunch like a gimmick to part you from your hard-earned money. I use tap water, conditioned with regular ol' AquaSafe.
You do need a thermometer, both to make sure your heater is set correctly, and also for water changes. I got one of those floaty glass ones that suction to the tank glass, because at water-change time I just read it, pluck it out, and use it to make sure the water I put in is the same temp as what is already in there.
Any gravel that is intended for use in aquariums will be fine. You just need to give it a really good rinsing before using it.
You will need a gravel vacuum, however. You have to keep the bottom free of decaying stuff to keep your water quality good.
Bettas seem to like to have the kind of decorations that they can rest on; dragging their fins across the gravel whenever they want to rest can possibly lead to fin rot, if the bottom isn't really, really clean.
They do like bloodworms, but a good quality betta food will suffice.
You do need a test kit, at the very least an ammonia kit first, then very soon thereafter a nitrite test. The lfs will test your water for you, but I really like to have the ammonia and nitrite ones close at hand during the first few weeks of a tank being up with fish in it. But, you will need to get more tests later, or just buy a master kit right up front.
Tip: Buy your betta from a place where their living conditions are good, if possible. When you buy one that has been in bad conditions, even though he looks good at the store, sometimes he can get sick almost as soon as you get him... very discouraging for a beginner. (btdt)
It's wonderful that you are researching before getting your fishy. It'll make his life a lot better, plus you'll have way less frustration. Knowledge is power!