Betta and what else??

Oct 14, 2005
:confused:We got a ten gallon tank and put one of our bettas in it. what could we put in a ten Gallon tank with a betta?

Dec 19, 2005
Reply to posted question

I have a 10 gal. tank with a betta and a pair of mollies. But keep in mind that when the mollies have fry they must be either moved out into their own tank or put in a breeding net until they are bigger. So as not to be eaten by the parents or the betta. I have also had tetras and swordtails with bettas and had no problems. Plecos though sometimes have a rather aggressive nature I have found them to fight with the bettas.*thumbsups

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Guppies are a bad idea with bettas, as are most long finned or brightly colored fish. Why dont you read the forum a bit as there are quite a few people who keep bettas in community settings. Just know that bettas are all different in their personality so no matter what you put in with it you need to watch carefully for a few days and be ready to seperate the fish should anything happen. Some bettas are very easy going and others will kill anything you put in the tank with it and are much better suited to a smaller tank on their own (like a cute little 2 or 5gallon setup.)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah...I'd say you could try a small school of harlies with the betta. Again...just be really sure to watch for any signs of trouble the first few days you dont want all the fish stressing each other out and getting sick.

With a 10G tank you might read up on cycling if you dont know what that is before you put more fish in it... Normally with just a small betta tank you dont need to worry as much because bettas breathe air, but the rasboras wont be able to and they are pretty sensitive to water quality issues.

Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
cories get my vote...
tetras would be nice...neons too...
but cories are amazing to watch...
funn funn funn ...

betta in the upper reaches...
cories on the bottom... bootifull...

[i have 6 cories with my betta...no worries... :)]

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
i have a male and female betta in my ten gallon planted. there are 5 danios and for the time being an affrican butterfly fish in with them. All of the fish seem fine with eachother. I wouldn't reccommend the butterfly but I have been forced too.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Danios are typically not a good idea with bettas (too nippy and their bouncing off the walls might stress out a betta) The harlies would be awesome with the betta as long as everyone gets along -- they're nice little fish and would make a pretty counterpoint to the betta's flowing fins. Cories are always good with bettas.

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Today I visited my local pet store in search of a betta. I told the fish guy that I was going to incorporate the betta into my community tank. He said that because of the bright colors of the neons the betta would attack them. I have not read on that comment before on this forum. Mostly what I have read is bettas attacking long fins or bettas getting attacked for long fins.

What has been your (forum members) experiences with the attacking, colors or fins or both or for no reason? Thnx for the help.

Edit: I did find a reference to colorful platies.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Eh...I've never kept a betta with neons...but I wouldn't think there would be a huge problem. Most Bettas dont seem to usually go out of their way to attack something just because its colorful...usually because they percieve it as a threat...like a long finned bright colored guppy that is pestering the betta. Usually any fish that minds its own business and isn't going to get in the betta's face I'd think would be fine, as long as they're not in super close quarters...ie trying to put a school of neons in something smaller than a 5G tank with a betta could be asking for troubles.