Betta Bloat???

Julie-Anne

Large Fish
Sep 23, 2004
Gimli Manitoba
Visit site
my female betta looks kinda funny almost like shes got umm bloat? is that what its called when it looks like a pinecone but its only on the left side her scales kinda stand out only one little patch like a stripe on the side that sticks out is this still bloat or dropsy or whatever its called shes swimming fine and eating normally she is fat tho but only the one side the scales stick out and i dunno why whats and is there treatment and has anyone ever had something like this? :confused: :confused:

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
that sounds like dropsy, and unfortunately survival rate is very low even with treatment. if you could i would remove your fish from the tank and QT it away from the other fish. there are medications out there and if you caught this early enough there might be a chance for your fish, but dropsy is pretty hard to cure.

Julie-Anne

Large Fish
Sep 23, 2004
Gimli Manitoba
Visit site
well i h ave lots of room in my 30 gallon provided i can move my white clouds and neons into it currently in my 30 gallon theres swordtails and mollies and one angelfish will they bother my little fish? so i can use the other tank as a QT?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Well, you have to make some tough choices here. Moving fish can always result in fish loss just from the stress from getting netted and put in an established tank with established territories. I have seen mollies to be very aggressive towards new tankmates. Are you prepared to move all of you fish from the 10 gallon tank into the 30gallon tank, and possibly lose some fish, all to try to treat a fish that will most likely not live through the treatment?

I would not.

I have never had a fish survive after getting dropsy.

Drop him in a cup of water in the freezer, IMHO.

Feb 22, 2003
Canada
Visit site
unfourtunatly I agree with NoDeltaH20...The chances of your betta surviving dropsey are slim to none, I actually lost my female betta the other day to dropsey...be hamaine and don't let her suffer with the pain and infection that she will have....sorry about the situation it's hard.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Aww what a stinker...I'm sorry about your betta :(.
I guess I would have to agree that this is one of those times that humane euthanization is the best remedy. Dropsy could wipe out your whole tank and there isn't a great "cure-all" for it.
If you are squeamish about placing the betta is the freezer, try getting some clove oil, use a few drops in the cup of water so that she will fall asleep, then place the water and fish in the freezer. She will never know anything or feel any pain at all.
Yes, there ARE some times when euthanasia is being a responsible pet owner.

Julie-Anne

Large Fish
Sep 23, 2004
Gimli Manitoba
Visit site
aww i kinda figured thats what id have to do i guess it happens ill make my brother do the deed cause i cant do it myself its like its looking at me cause all my babbies swarm to the side when i stand beside the tank and go nuts when i open the lid i just cant bring myself to do it so when my brother comes home he'll do it