betta bob is bloated

Feb 28, 2008
I dunno if im posting this in the right spot because I'm new here but I need some help.

I have had a betta fish for about 5-6 months. I have recently noted that bob is bloated and i don't know why. It does seem that he has pine cone scales, or at least what I think pine cone scales would look like.

The conditions are:

5g. tank
80- 82 degrees F
2 mollies (both female)
filter goes on about everyother day at night

Please help!!
Thanx

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
Just out of curiosity, why does your filter only run every other day?
Also, your tank is too small for 2 mollies and a betta. Mollies get pretty big and they are messy. I would say get a bigger tank for the mollies and leave the betta in the 5g.

About the bloating, it could be that you are feeding him too much. You could try feeding him a shelled pea and see if that helps. Are the mollies looking bloated too or just the betta?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
IF he's got pine cone scales you need to get him away from your other fish ASAP. That's droopsy and is generally leathal :( Get him on his own (those Mollies get 4" long they really do need a bigger tank). Try the pea or algae flakes, also a bit of aquarium salt or Melafix?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Nope! 4 and a half inches. They're NOT small fish at all that's why the tank recommendation for them is 30 Gallons minium. Even the ones sold at my pet store are way bigger then my bettas.