Betta Bowl Filter Question

Jul 26, 2004
Northwest Indiana
Visit site
Are there any kinds of filters and heaters which will fit over the edge of a fishbowl? I found a giant glass bowl at Hobby Lobby- I'm not sure what they intended it for but it looks like a giant fish bowl. I would guess it at least 3 gallons since it looks bigger than the mini-bow 2.5 I just looked at. I've been dying to get a betta and all the lfs sells all these little tiny "mini-hex" things... I don't think they're even 1/4 gallon. :mad: NO WAY am I keeping a fish in that! Anyway, I thought the giant fishbowl would be a nice alternative to a mini-bow or similar setup, but if it's too much trouble I'll probably just end up with that anyway.

Also- is 2.5 gallons big enough to make a betta comfy?

Thanks.

you could put a sponge filter in a 3 gallon bowl, or a whisper 2-5i might work...i don't know if an hang on filter would work on a fishbowl shape. Or you could go filterless...bettas don't mind...and then just change the water 100% every 5-7 days.

I have a 2.5 mini-bow and my betta likes it fine.

I don't know if Target sells fish supplies, never shopped for them there.

Mar 11, 2003
2.5 gallons is just fine for a betta, because this is usually the absolute minimum size for a filter and heater. I have had luck shopping at walmart for junior filters and heaters. I can't exactly remember the filter's name...but its a green corner filter that comes in a kit with an air pump and a air flow control device (OMG guys, I have been gone for so long I can't remember the name for it!) It should fit along the side of a 2.5 or 3 gallon bowl, even if it just sits on the bottom because the suction cups may not be able to hold well against a curved bowl. Otherwise, I believe that some companies, such as www.drfostersmith.com carry filters that attach to bowls. I can't remember the specific company though. For a heater in 2.5-3 gallons, Wal-Mart carries a junior heater that is 7.5 watts. It keeps my 2.5 gal minibow between 75 and 80*F at all times and it is fully submersible.

Alexa

Jul 26, 2004
Northwest Indiana
Visit site
Too bad about Target not having fish stuff- I'm pretty broke and it would be nice to use my gift card. Oh well! Anyway, it looks like I've got quite a few options for filtration. Way more than I expected. I don't think I could go completelly sans filter, because more than once a week water change, especially 100%, seems a bit extreme! And I'd hate to have the water get really nasty just because I waited a day or 2 too long. If I had the money I think I might chuck the whole idea and get this sweet 8 gallon "Quantum Aquarium" from drfostersmith.com. VERY cool! Unfortunately $70.00, and that doesn't even include a filter. Sheesh!

Thanks so much, guys. I just didn't even know where to begin looking or what to look for- for example, I'd never even heard of a sponge filter! I'll post pics when (if?) I get the whole thing up and running.

Btw twoluvcats- I LOVE your Ancient Egypt-themed fishy names!

Thanks! I also have a dog named Isis hehe

And I'd hate to have the water get really nasty just because I waited a day or 2 too long.
this is the EXACT reason why i filter my betta tanks as well.

I'd get the 2.5 mini-bow. They are great tanks, and the filter that comes with is very low flow and doesn't bother bettas.

I'd be wary of those 7.5 watt heaters. I had three...they could never keep my tanks at a consistent temps. (i thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread when i found them) They make me nervous cause there's no thermostat...so if you have any big temperature swings outside of your tank, your heater is going to continue to churn out heat no matter what's going on. The lack of light letting you know its heating bugs me, AND if you ever have the water get below the low level line, the heater shuts off and is junk. Hagen makes a 25w heater that has a thermostat, and a power light...its rated for 5 gallon tanks, i'm currently using one in my 2.5 gallon tank and I know two betta breeders that use them in 1 gallon tanks with no problems...the thermostat is the key.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
and i beg to differ,without a doubt i don't see either of these products as a soulution to a filter.
bacteria in a bottle has be around for some time,but for the most part inert and at best similar to a vaccination.the "bacteria in a bottle "is dead.it's not really feasible to have self stable bacteria yet.biospria is close but not quite.
to filter your betta bowl(which is a bad idea,just get a small tank,it's a thousand times easier in the end)try a small undergravel filter sold as a goldfishbowl filter.
they are commonly sold at many pet stores(god knows why,goldfish can't live in bowls,but thats another rant...)
ironicly if you go to petsmart to buy a goldfishbowl filter,you'll find 20 dollar tanks right next to them,and the goldfish set up is 11-14 dollars and some change.

better yet spend a few dollars more,get an eclipse explorer 2 for just under 30 dollars buy a silk plant or two and let your betta enjoy a calm filtered life of luxury and fredom from bare stressful bowls,ammonia spikes and dead bacteria.
here's a link to show you the low cost of these small tanks.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/category.xml?pcid1=2253;category_id=2173

Jul 26, 2004
Northwest Indiana
Visit site
Yeah, that stuff is always too good to be true. Same goes with the bowl setup. The bowl is very cool looking, but I think I probably will go with the all-in-one mini tank set up. It seems like to do the bowl thing properly it's gonna be way too expensive. I'm starting to find that out with my 10G setup. I've spent over $50 on a filter, silicone sealant, new hood, and decor for this old tank I had in the basement, and I just saw all of that (and an air pump and stone, which I still need) for about that much. I guess a package deal is always better for 10 G or less. Thanks, catfishmike (and everyone else!)