Betta Breeding

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I have the usual betta set up. A 2 1/2 gal globe tank that houses a single red male betta who sleeps on the top of the heater (where no harm will come to him) and who is making bubbles for his bride to be. I want to get him that bride to be, but I want to do my research first. I need to know: Is it difficult? When do I place the female in with the male? How do I know there are eggs in the bubble nest? Who takes care of the eggs so I know who to remove if needed? How long does it take for the fry to hatch? That sort of stuff. Any information and suggested websites would be most helpful and apreciated. Thanks.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
you need alot of things to successfully breed bettas.

#1- alot of time and patience. these little beauties are not too easy to raise in home aquaria. you need alot of time for feedings and very careful observation. you also have to condition the pair well otherwise they will not breed. this includes feeding live foods and changing the water more often to simulate the rainy season.

#2- you need alot of equipment. you need the right types and quantities of everything. you will need at LEAST 1 10 gallon breeding tank, a 30 gallon growout tank, and a few dozen bowls for male fry. Expect about 100-500 fry.

if you are still interested, let me know and I can give you detailed instructions from there.

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I've bred bettas before. Its pretty easy except for the food for the fry! I only could get them to eat baby brine shrimp, that I had to I hatch! They ended up dying thought:( . I was so attached to the one. He was so cute.:( If only I knew of a simpler food to feed them I would breed them again!

But I agree with Doomhed's supplies. Also u might want a fish bowl or something to raise brine shrimp, if u want to.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Is it difficult? Yes, it can be. You have to be very careful when putting the male and female together. The male can get rough and kill the female so you have to watch them, not just put them together and go to work and them come home and take them out. When do I place the female in with the male? You need to make sure that both of the fish are ready for breeding. The male will build a bubble nest (which yours already is) and the female will have vertical lines on her body. You can encourage this by putting the female into the male's tank (which you want to do cause the male needs to be comfortable with the surroundings) inside a net or container. Let her stay there for a few days. Feeding live food also helps. How do I know there are eggs in the bubble nest? There really is no need to worry for this. The female will drop the eggs and the male will fertilize them and put them into the nest. They are usually really good at getting all of them. I do; however, reccomend using a bare bottom tank. Who takes care of the eggs so I know who to remove if needed? As soon as the female is done laying eggs she needs to be removed. The male will take care of the eggs/babies for 2-3 days. After this time he should be removed from the tank and put into another tank. He will start eating the babies if you dont. And it is easier to remove him verse the fry. How long does it take for the fry to hatch?usually within 24 to 36 hours.

http://majesticbettas.com/breeding.htm

I hope that this helps you out some. I did most of this info from my head so it might be a little different than the website. I did find many website if you search (I used Yahoo) for breeding Bettas.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I will take all you've said into account and if nothing else the female can live in my cummunity tank. Any other info is welcome.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I second the need for a barebottom tank... the male has to be able to pick up the eggs as they drop to the bottom and put them into the nest... they will fall down into the gravel if there is any. I've also heard 50-200 fry, not 500. Plus, you don't get even 100 to survive very long. I highly recommend using live food (this is where I ran into problems...). You also need to have the tank heated to a constant 80F, and covered because the fry need to develop their labyrinth organ with humid, warm air.