betta buddy

Dandre

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2010
louisiana
I have a male betta in a 10 gallon with 3 ghost shrimp and I want to get him a friend. What non schooling fish would be happy with him.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
plants decor, caves all the things that will activate him. make sure there are lots of floating objects like driftwood or plants in his tank as well. then place a mirror next to his tank a few times a week for a few hours to keep him entertained.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
get your nitrates lower. if they are 20ppm after one week than you know that your weekly water change works. if theyre less after one week then thats even better :)

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
you could try a pleco or a weather loach. i have heard that weather loaches need to be kept in groups, but i had one for a couple years by himself and he was fine. they do get kind of big(not sure on just how big. mine got to be about6", but i have heard bigger), so you will need another place to put him when he gets too big.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Dandre, do you have a thermometer inside the tank to monitor the temp?
You really should have a heater, and you can get one that self-adjusts so that if it gets a bit colder at night, the heater kicks in to keep the water temp steady, and also for the times of the year it gets colder where you are.
Keep in mind that fish are coldblooded animals - they can't self-adjust their own internal temperatures like humans and other warmblooded mammals can. A couple of degrees in fluctuation can mean life or death for them, paticularly when they are in a small tank environment - and by 'small' I don't mean the size of the tank - any tank is 'small' compared to the natural lakes and streams these fish were genetically adapted for.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Dandre, it is in the 80's during the day at my house, too. At night, it's in the 70's. You need a heater for you fish or else it will lie on the bottom and look very sick. A temperature change from 80 degrees to 70 degrees can be deadly. Like Lauraf said, even the change of 2 or 3 degrees could be lethal.