betta building bubble nest...

DeZ

Small Fish
Jan 13, 2004
Delta BC,Canada
Visit site
I hope this dosent sound stupid, but do female bettas build bubble nests? I know how to sex a betta, as anyone should but this one looks and acts like a female but it started building a nest. It has very short fins, not nipped, small sleak body and when I placed it in a clear container and into the male bettas tank it ran away from the male and did not flare up. And like I said it looks like a female. what do you think?

I'll try to get a pic..

well, there are some that will blow nest, but there arent all that many, chances of one are very slim, yet there still out there. BUT there are the plakat species where they have short fins, males included, and sometimes act and look all feminine, i should know, i have 1 that fooled me, stupid little tube...

anyways, i wouldnt be all that surprised that it would swim away if put together with a male, both male and female, might run away if they arent ready. some males are quite cowardly but eventually, their hormones will kick in and fight fight fight!

MrMup04

Superstar Fish
Aug 13, 2003
yep, sometimes female bettas do blow bubble nest but not very often. one time when i set up my spawning tank with my male and female in their, she build a bubble nest becuase im guessing she was too anxious about spawning.