Betta colic?!

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
About three days ago i noticed that one of my bettas was struggling at the top of the tank, belly slightly swollen and apparently floating.

Unsure of what to do i left him as he was (with regular checks on him) and to be honest was not expecting a happy outcome.

However, i came home yesterday, went to check on him and to my surprise he was absolutely fine and hasn't shown any abnormal behaviour since.

Was this just some kind of betta colic, trapped gas or something?! (looked in my betta book but no explanations)

Thanx for any help.

Jun 28, 2003
UK
Visit site
My betta shouldnt have been over fed as he only gets a betta pellet thing once every two days (sometimes two pellets).

The only thing i can think is that maybe he scoffed the 1/4 segment of sinking tablet that i put in for the otto. I hope not as it wasnt intended for him.

I generally keep an eye on their 'belly' size to see when they are ready for a feed Hopefully he just swallowed his food with a little to much 'gusto'!!!

........BRAINWAVE......just as i was about to post this i suddenely remembered something that would explain it and what he ate....cucumber!! I put a little piece in for the ottos and i bet he has eaten that! I totally forgot i'd put that in, and it's gone now! Don't think the ottos will be getting cucumber again.
Problem solved and remedy aquired.

Thanks for your help.