Betta Died :( What to put in a now vacant 2.5g

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Hey all. My Betta Malcolm died of what I think was swim bladder disease. He was kept in poor conditions for the first half of his life. Then he was moved to a heated and filtered 2.5g MiniBow. He spent the final 11 months of his life in there.

May he rest in peace.

Now I want to put something in my now empty 2.5g. I am not totally opposed to a Betta but hearing other options would be good.

Could I have shrimp without to much reproduction. Any other ideas?

I am planning on just instant cycling it with gravel from my 10g.

Thanks!!

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Sorry to hear about malcolm. At least he had a good last 11 months.
Not too sure about other stuff. If you get cherry shrimp, you can get all females (they are the red ones, the males are white from what I've read). That could be pretty cool.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I have some Red Cherry Shrimp. They're fun to watch and not all males are white. I have a pure red male that looks absolutely stunning and a white female taht has red speckles. Just look for the yellow or green "saddle" (unfertilized eggs in ovaries) and then you know that it's a female. They're easy to breed, so I don't know why you couldn't just breed them and sell or give them to your lfs. :)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Too bad about your betta. It always sucks when that happens!

You CAN have shrimp without reproducing. Amano, fan and bamboo shrimp are really hard to breed... Aquabid is a great place to check around.

The secon thing that comes to mind is 2 african *dwarf* frogs. They're fully aquatic- google them, they're pretty neat lil dudes.

Of course, like you said, you could always get another betta. Aqua bid always has the most spectacular bettas in colors you could never imagine!

And on top of those you could add 1 mystery snail... they don't breed with themselves, so if you only have one, you only have *onee*

Good luck choosing!

Oct 15, 2010
SO sorry to hear! As already mentioned, shrimp, a couple ADFs, or another betta would be the best options. The frogs are pretty cool - I have had a bunch in the past, and really enjoyed having them. :)

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Well I went by Wally World and to the pet section. A really pretty blue/green body crown tail with red finnage just called my name. Well Castiel is now swimming around his new tank and seems to be quite happy.

Could I put a snail in with him? Or too much?

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Would I be able to move my snail from my 10g into my Betta tank and then put the Oto in my 10g?

I have some algae that could be cleaned up in there.