Betta FAQs

Mar 11, 2003
I was reading through the betta post archives and noticed that there seem to be several questions that get asked more frequently than others. Here is a basic FAQ post for bettas that people can be referenced to in the future - Alexa

Question:What size of bowl should I keep my betta in?

Bettas should be kept in bowls no smaller than a 1/2 gallon. Anything less than that is not acceptable, unless you take extra precautions for their health. These bowls should be cleaned out completely once a week, and twice a week if it is 1/2 gallon. The bigger the better, as in a larger tank of 2-5 gallons you can add other necessities for them to thrive like filters and heaters.

Question: Why can they live in those tiny cups then? I thought they are happier in small spaces.

Bettas are labyrinth fish, which allows them to breath atmospheric air. The labyrinth acts as a lung. This is why they can survive in small volumes of water, because they only need to be wet in order to live, assuming they have a place to breath air from the surface. So make sure that they have a place to get air from in their bowl (betta vases usually block off air because they have an air tight lid ontop of the bowl). They are not happy in small amounts of water, however; there is a big difference between survival and thriving. Bettas usually get the shaft in pet stores because of their unique ability to survive without air pumps.

Question: My betta is a picky eater, what should he be eating?

They are quite known for being picky eaters. Bettas can and should be fed a variety of foods. Foods that should be fed are betta flakes/pellets, freeze dried bloodworms/brine shrimp, and frozen foods. They can also be fed live foods, but it isn't necessary. A bettas stomach is only as big as its eye, so keep their meals small. You can feed them either once or twice a day. It does't really matter.

Bettas can live up to a week with out being fed, although you will see some damaging effects if you try it purposely. It is best to keep a daily feeding routine, but if you are going away for a couple of days, the betta will be fine. Some betta owners like to skip a day of food every here and there to keep their digestive system clean.

My betta tried to jump out of his bowl! Is this common? What are some other behaviors they exhibit?

Yes, while seemingly slow moving and graceful, bettas are excellent jumpers, and always need a lid (with air holes) on their bowls. Chances are if your betta is alive, he will jump. Plastic canvas works perfect for this, as it is heavy enough to weigh down a betta jump, and is completely open for air to travel through. It can also be cut to whatever size you need. If your betta jumps out of his bowl, even though it may look dry, put it back in water just to be safe. Sometimes they are still alive after jumping, even after 10-15 minutes (we can all thank the labyrinth for this miracle).

Other strange behavior they show is flaring. If bettas get excited or territorial, especially after coming in view with other bettas, they flare. This is when they use their gill cover to make themselves look bigger. You can see this by holding a mirror up to your bettas bowl. It is good stimulus for them, although it should not be done for more than 15 minutes a day, or they can get stressed out.

Question: Can I keep more than one betta together?

It depends. Male bettas must be kept away from all other types of bettas (male and female, unless spawning), while females may be kept with other females. The females can be just as agressive as the males however, so you have to keep a close eye on them for aggression. Females will establish a pecking order (heirarchy) at first, but then should be done with the aggressive behavior. Both genders can be kept in a community tank with other peaceful fish.

They cannot be kept with other long finned fish (such as angels and guppies), cold water fish (such as golf fish and koi), fish related to them (such as other bettas-besides female/female mixes- and gouramis), and fin nipping fish (such as tiger barbs and other aggressive fish). They can be safely be kept with most tetras, mollies, and swordtails, along with African Dwarf Frogs. But each betta has their own personality, so it is up to them if they want a tank mate or not.

Question: How can I tell if my betta is a male or female?

The difference between males and females is very easy to distinguish. Males have longer bodies and fins, while females have much shorter bodies and fins. Males also have a more pointed anal fin (the long solid fin on the bottom of the betta), while female's anal fins are more level. Females also have ovipositors, which is a tube that the eggs come out of during spawning.

Question: How do bettas breed?

Under the right conditions, male bettas will embrace a female betta and literally squeeze the eggs out of her and fertilize them. The female is then removed from the spawning tank and the male takes care of the eggs and newly hatched fry (baby bettas) in a bubble nest. This is exactly what it sounds like, a nest made of betta spit and bubbles. Breeding should only be attempted after researching every aspect of betta spawning, and after you realize the tremendous amount of time and responsibility it takes.

Question: If they can't be kept with cold water fish, what temperature should I keep their bowl at?

Being tropical fish, bettas like to be kept at temperatures of 70-80*F. Preferably 75*. That is why tanks of 2+ gallons are ideal for bettas, because they can have heaters. Tanks below 5 gallons should have a mini heater (anything below 25 watts, 7.5 watt heaters are usually sold at Wal*Mart), and tanks 5 gallons and above get 5 watts per gallon for heaters (i.e. 5 gal=25 watt heater, 10 gal=50 watt heater).

Filters can also be added to these larger homes. However, bettas do not like strong currents so they must have it on a gentle flow and the tank must be large enough for a place for them to escape movement in the water. Make sure to get a size appropriate filter for your bettas tank. Bowls cannot have heaters nor filters.

Question: I think my betta is sick! Help!

There are many different diseases that bettas can get infected with. Some of the more common ones are fin rot (fins look like they are tearing off), dropsy (scales begin to pine cone because the betta swells, usually in the stomach), velvet (betta is itchy and is trying to scratch his body on the gravel), ich (betta is covered in tiny white dots), popeye (eye(s) become enlarged), cotton fungus (cotton fungus hangs from the betta's body), and gill flukes (gills are constantly flared, red, or inflamed). There are many other bacterial/parasite infections however.

Try searching "betta diseases" on Yahoo! or Google, and see if you can diagnose your bettas disease. Also, post his/her symptoms in the disease, or better yet, betta/gourami section of myfishtank.net and get advice from some other betta owners. There you can recieve personal experiences of what medications (yes, there ARE meds for fish) and special care you should use.

Question: Okay, so now I know how to care for bettas properly, how long will they live?

Bettas have a life span of 2-4 years, although pet store bettas are usually a year old already because at this age their fins are fully developed.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Good:) Maybe this could even be combined with your breeding post to make a long species specific article!

I would like to maybe question the addition that bettas can be kept in 1/2g tanks or smaller (even with "proper" care). Not only do I tend to disagree, but maybe spreading a more positive message to newbies who read it could be better? Such as saying 2.5g longterm minimum (because yes, there are times when smaller tanks are needed for temporary use).

Also, for those with small tanks, knowing where to get tiny filters can be a help. There is something called an Azoo Palm Filter. It is a small Hang-on-Back filter that runs under 10$. I believe www.drsfostersmith.com carries them for 6$.

And Alexa...do you have any cute betta pics to add to your article?:D

Mar 11, 2003
Okay, I combined the FAQ and Spawning/Rearing Fry information. I am going to begin posting it, but I can't think of a good title for it, so retitle it into a more simplified title if necessary. I also don't know how to instert pictures into the text :(, but I'll try.

Alexa