Betta Fin Loss

Feb 3, 2006
Howdy,
I bought my mom a moon light for her betta tank (5gal hex), but after a week, one of LEDs went out. So, I bought her two new LEDs (blue and purple) and resoldered the circuit. We put it all back together last night, and this morning the betta looks like it tore its top fin off and most of its tail fin. I don't notice any rot, so I'm wondering if anyone has had LED issues with bettas. We've taken the moon light away and hope the fins grow back. He seems active and happy though. Any comments? Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Fizgig777

Large Fish
Nov 7, 2003
NYC
www.goldfishparadise.com
There are some bettas that don't like certain types of lighting for whatever reason. Some get confused by it and stuff. As a norm, the more natural the lighting the better for the fish... Start doing odd lighting and fish won't always take it well.

As to the fin loss.... Is there a filter on the tank? It's possible that in his confusion, he curled up against the intake of the filter and it tore his fins up pretty badly. Add StressCoat to the water and watch him for signs of infection. Should be fine if water quality isn't a problem.

Hope that helps.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Sometimes UB will have a piece of his tail fin missing as a result of biting it on thinking it was another Betta. So I just put in some Bettafix for a few days and his fins start to grow.

BTW oh yeah if you have a filter put a plant in front of it to prevent your fishy from getting to close.