Betta Flaring At Me

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
My betta pellinor and I have had a good relationship ... until now, I think. Every morning I go to his tank and say good morning, ect (yes I talk to my fish). Now normally, he would swim towards me through the plants and wait for me to drop the food in his tank. Lately however, he has charged at me through the plants flaring!! The flares dont go down till he gets the food. Anyone know whats happening?

I also want to mention that he used to always build bubblenests, but I havent seen one for a few weeks now :( Does that mean hes not as happy as he was? Its kinda strange seen as though hes in the same tank, getting the same water changes and the same food. Any ideas on whats wrong with him?

mcshell

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
is it possible that you're watching him too closely that he sees his own reflection in your eyes? :)

Casper never builds a bubble nest unless he sees a female nearby.
I always thought the betta boys only build bubblenest when mating -- is this not the case?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Nope, betta males build nests all the time.

Pellinor is not mad at you Angel, he is just being a normal betta guy. Sometimes Finchy and Rigel flare when they see me, but not all that often and I say to them (Yes I talk to my fish too) "Hey you, why you flaring at me?"

Flare back at him using you hands (sounds silly don't it)!

Is Jack close to Pellinor? Do you let them see each other and have flare sessions? I think it is healthy for males to show off a bit and defend their turf.

It may or may not go away, but regardless, it is a normal part of being a betta. Also, if the lighting is just right, often they see a reflection of themselves on the inside wall of the tank, if the room is dark or if your body casts a shadow, it may be causing his reflection to appear.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
My betta hasn't built a nest in the four years I've had him, and he seems fine and happy to me. Part of the reason I think he doesn't build is simply because the filter (he's in an eclipse system 6) moves the surface water a bit more swiftly than he would like. Mr. Purple is an ol' geezer betta. The last time I put a mirror up to his tank he actually ran from his own reflection, so I haven't done that in a long while. But he still comes out to greet me, expecting his food with a little tail wriggle.
~~Colesea

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Finchy has never built a nest, even though he has a 1/3 styrofoam cup. I think his UGF makes too many bubbles on the surface for him.

Rigel has only ever built partial bubble nests, and not all the time.

Riker, who I have had for a week now, is constantly building a nest. He is my youngest and is in an unfiltered tank right now.

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
Thanks guys/girls :) Im relieved to hear I havent done something to upset the fish :) Pellinor and Jack definately do not see eachother, also there is a mirror by Pellinor that I sometimes uncover so he can see himself, only he never flares at his reflection ... just me!
Thank you all for putting me at ease. And BTW Iggy, I'm gonna try flaring with my hands next time ;)