Betta help

Ok, I'm thinking about getting a 2g with a betta, but I want to compare their prices at diff. LFS and such.So here are my questions:
1. What is the price of a betta at your LFS?
2.Will they eat what my dwarf gouramis eat?
3.Could I add ghost shrimp to the tank?
4.Somebody said even de-chlorinated water is unsafe for bettas. True?

If you know an answer to any of these questions, you "betta" answer!:D (I love making lame jokes)

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Dechlorinated water is absolutely safe for bettas- They will eat the same food as your gouramis (what are you feeding them? ) Technically, ghost shrimp should be fine with them- but you never know if the betta will harn the shrimp, depends on the betta. Some do betta than others. At the good LFS in town prices vary, but don't get much past $10, at petsmart I think they are all under 5.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
1. Bettas around Edmonton, AB cost between $3.00 to $6.00 for males (Petsmart is the cheapest)
2. Yes, bettas and gourami share the same diet here at my house
3. No, not on a 2 gallon, maybe a 5gal or larger, but that is too small a space
4. Treated (dechlorinated) tap water (I use Prime - red label - good stuff) is just fine in most cases. Test your pH to make sure its not too far up to down.

Careful, betta's are addictive ;)

AquaticGem

Medium Fish
May 20, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
www.bettatudes.com
1). Bettas here at most Petco, PetsMart, etc are around $3.50, while special fish stores can sell them from $5 and up.

2.) Yes, they should eat what you're feeding your Gouramis, but if you'd like, you could always pick up some Hikari Bio-Gold betta pellets as well.

3). To add ghost shrimp (which the betta may or may not eat), I would have a bigger tank. You could, however, fit a snail (golden, or black mystery) in a two gallon.

4). Bettas need de-chlorinated water, unless you have R/O water. If you have city/tap water, Prime is a great conditioner to use on the water before adding it to your aquarium.