betta in a bowl?

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I was wondering do any of you guys have experience with keeping bettas in a non-filtered tank/bowl?

I don't want to spend more money on lighting, heating, equipment, and such. My brother wants a bettas so bad and I do too.

I've heard that you have to do more frequent water changes--like every 2 days.

Yes it is a good idea to do frequent water changes. Bettas tend to not like a lot of current so a bowl is okay for bettas. One thing you might want to concider is putting some sort of cover on the bowl cause some bettas like to jump out. They are labyrinth fish so they CAN breathe out of water but they do need to be wet to live. so some sort of clear plastic (with air holes) or a light screen of some kind would be a good idea.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Bettas are fine in non-filtered tanks. Remember, their stomachs are the size of their eyes, so NOT over-feeding makes for a clean tank. I also put some duckweed on top for my betta to nibble on over the weekends as he is in my office at work. I feed him a little extra on Friday afternoon. Over the weekend he's totally on his own. He's been fine for about 2 months now. I replaced 50% of his water only once. Maybe I should change it more often, but I don't think I need to. He's in a 1-gallon cylindrical shaped tank with an open top.