Betta in a comunity tank?

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
You could only put 1 male betta in a community tank cause if you put more in they would eventually kill eachother off, like d3sc3n7 said. I would watch out though since you have swordtails. Female bettas arent as aggressive, and can be put together.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Sure, male bettas can generally be kept in community tanks. Just make sure no gourami are present. Same goes for tiger barbrs and other fish that like to nip. You might want to exclude any guppies or other fish with flowing fins that the betta might attack.

As for females you can easily keep 3 or more in a community tank. I've got two together with some guppies and have no problems. Used to keep them in the same tank with a make gourami, too.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I had mine in my tank in breeder traps while I was getting their tanks cleaned and they would flare at my male swordtail as well as my paradise fish. You can try it, but like everyone else has said keep on eye on them just in case.

I had a male and a female betta together with two swordtails, two cories, two ghost shrimp, four tetras, and an algae eater. The male was the king of the tank, probably cause he was the first one in there. But there were never problems. Don't put a female and a male together like I did. Someone will get mad at you. I never had problems but others have. Never put males together though. But a male betta with swordtails is ok. :)

xavier

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2008
I have a male in my 55g inside my comunity tank and he does more then fine.
He in fact loves to explore all the nooks and cranys of our tank. Just keep an eye on him for the 1st day to make sure he is doing okay.

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
I've had multiple bettas in with tetras and they got along fine. Some bettas are more tempermental than others and I wouldn't keep them with any tail nippers (as someone said above).

Other than that, you should be fine.

wintermute

Medium Fish
Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
They should fare okay with tankmates, with some caveats - make sure that their tankmates can't be mistaken for another male betta (i.e. long fin on sailfin mollies, bright colors, etc.) or else he'll go after them. The second caveat, but I don't know if this will apply to you, if there's more active/aggressive fish in the tank, go with a shorter finned betta, likewise if you have strong currents.