Betta in community tank.

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
I was wondering what those of you with a Betta in a community tank also have with it. I am trying to figure out what to get to go along with my betta. I am going to get an ADF, but I also want a few fish to go to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks alot.

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
That is what I wanted to get, either some neon tetras or maybe a loach. But I am not sure. What about 4 neon tetras and a cory or two. Would that be too much for a 5 gallon hex with a betta.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Yeah that would be too much. I wouldn't recommend loaches, because they get too big and hex tanks don't have much floor space. Neons generally like to be in groups of at least 5 though, so I don't know if you have room for them. What about an African dwarf frog? Or some shrimp?

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
I want to get an ADF, but I would also like to get a few more fish to liven my tank up. It looks so big for just the betta. He is small.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
If the Betta is in the tank now and has established himself I highly doubt (no matter the temperment) he will allow any fish in there. These fish even the docile ones are still aggressive. A docile Betta is just a Betta that wont kill its tank mates. Gabe (my Betta) as easy going as he is he still chases the Neons around a little and even flares every now and then at them. I think that if you want to add fish then the best thing to do is to take him out, rearrange the tank (maybe even change a few things) add the new ones and then put him in. But I cant garentee that he wont attack them. I think that the best thing for you to start with is a couple of ADFs and see what happens.

jondub

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2006
Texas
That was my plan to add them first. I was also reading that Kuhli Loaches can stay in a smaller tank, I was thinking of getting one as I don't think he would clash with the betta. Anyway I am goin to get the frogs next week when the LFS gets them in stock and see what happens.

Sep 16, 2005
i disagree with guppy... every betta i have kept (and i currently have eight of them!) has tolerated new tankmates very well... they usually do a little flaring while the new guys are floating, and once they are added to the tank, they are ignored completely. of course, it depends on who you're trying to add, but most of the fish you've mentioned shouldn't be a problem at all, unless you've got an insane attack betta.

Kuhlis get sort of long, require lots of hiding places, and like being in groups larger than a 5g can accomodate; so i would suggest against them.

a pair of corys or four neons should do just fine. maybe a few little shrimp. or the frogs.

Small Fish
Feb 10, 2006
It depends on the betta, but I have found that even my grumpy betta is fine with cory cats, oto cats, and cardinal tetras (and similar). I don't dare try neons again; some bettas are fine with them, but mine ate the neons! (The cardinals were too large and he didn't try it)