betta newbie

fairladyZ

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2003
Singapore
just started betta hobby not long ago and i have a few question to ask :)

firstly, Prince my betta eyes have change and become darker, like shadowfax is there anything wrong with him? Pls refer here for their pix...

betta pix

secondly, i got a blood red DT HM and when i put him beside the other two pastel white HM, he doesnt flare much, is it true he find those two small betta no competition to flare? when i put my mirror there, he flares alot lol and my frens told me for coloured betta, they dun flare at white one cos they dun know those are bettas :(

both my white one see each other, they do flare :p

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2003
First off, your bettas eyes may darken because they are losing some of the opaque factor. Opaques are responsible for the white eyes. I wouldn't worry about it.

About the flaring. Your male might think that he is "big stuff" and won't have to flare to the little guys. He may also think they are females, due to their small size? Even though they flare at females, betta males prefer to flare at males. Again, nothing to worry about, but kinda funny :).

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Like Alexa said, they eyes being dark is normal. Some of my betta eyes are black, some blue, some a mixture.

Bettas don't always flare at each other, and they are more sensitive to other bettas of the same color. I don't know why, its not like the have a mirror, but especially the male to female color seems to matter.