Betta not feeding

Sep 4, 2005
I posted this in the Betta forum but they can be slow to reply. My Betta has gone from eating 3-4 flakes twice a day to 2-3 once a day, if that. I never feed him Sunday to help clean out the system, but i cant see a reason why he would suddenly stop eating, is 2-3 flakes a day enough, they are small flakes. :confused:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...older_id=2534374302030533&bmUID=1127008513764

what im feeding the lil guy

TrpTwlght

Medium Fish
Jun 5, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.authorhouse.com
that's the same thing I feed mine. I've found that mine is rather moody. He actually goes through periods of depression where he won't eat anything. He actually got so depressed one time, I caught the other fish nibbling away on his fins, and he didn't even care. I've since moved him to an isolation tank with padded walls so he can't hurt himself! LOL, but seriously, I feed mine once every three days and he does fine. I'd say you were probably feeding him way more than he needed to begin with. So just cut back, and he should be fine. Feeding him once a day is more than enough.

Sep 4, 2005
i think u might be right trptwlight, he was a moody/aggressive fish when i had my frog in with him, and when i took the frog out is when he slowed his eating, so hopefully he snaps out of it, the 2 tanks are right by each other so he can still see all my other lil critters, maybe its just a phase

TrpTwlght

Medium Fish
Jun 5, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.authorhouse.com
Yes, I think something like that could definatly make him depressed. I baby sat a friend's female bettas for a few days, and made the mistake of putting the tank next to mine. After the girls went home, he went into his major suicide depression. So I could easily see your betta being depressed cause he doesn't have his frogg buddy. Fish don't have long memories though. After about a week, mine had forgotten all about those girls. He's way over on the other side of the room though, so he can't even see the tanks my other fish are in. I thought he might keep searching for a glimpse of the girls. So maybe he would be better if he didn't see the frogg at all. Out of sight, out of mind, kind of thing. Worth a shot, if he doesn't get better.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think changing his diet might be a good answer...do you ever mix it up and give him some bloodworms? Bettas are very picky eaters. I feed mine those little balls...um betta biogold? something like that and he loves 'em. He also gets brine shrimp and bloodworms etc. Granted I still only feed him every other day or so, sometimes more depending on what I'm feeding my other tanks. He might just be totally bored with his food and want something else. Just eating the flakes because he's hungry.

Sep 4, 2005
when i started i feed him a mix of freeze dryed bloodworms, the betta biogold u were talkin about, and the food i give him now, he liked the bloodworms and flakes now, but hated the biogold, always spit it up. Would feeding him regular frozen bloodworms be too messy?

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Bettas seemt to eat less as they get older. Also, temperature will affect their appetitie, so if he is in an unheated space, just double-check the water temperature is above 75F (which is still pretty cool but tolerable for a betta).

Also, check his poop color, it should be brown and fairly solid not whitish and stringy. Losss of appetite can be an indication of poor health.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
It shouldn't be too messy as long as you only feed a few at a time. I have a syringe that I use to suck some up after thawed in tank water and then its pretty easy to only feed a few at a time. If you had an apple snail in the tank then you wouldn't have to worry about leftovers getting cleaned up...

Sep 4, 2005
it is an unheated tank, i know the temp. downstairs is 74-76ish, and he is upstairs in a bedroom, but im not sure the exact temp. I will go buy a thermometer and maybe a heater if need be next time i get payed.