Betta plants...

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK So despite me telling my mom that I will work on her tank and donate a new tank and a couple filters to her (there just sitting around taking up the little space we have) she snuck onto Drs. Foster & Smith and bought everything in my cart (which I just put in there to see how much it would come out to) which included EVERYTHING to setup Brilla's 5.5gal with light, filtration, heat, etc... Everything besides substrate and plants.

Soo... now I need to get to studying plants and see what I want. What do you all have in your tiny tanks? I will have about 3w per gal, an AquaClear Mini, a glass hood, and a Hagen radiant heater if that means anything for what plants I can use. I am off to research plants, but I am just curious as to what all small plants you guys have. I am thinking Moss Balls and some dwarf plants... I don't want too many, just enough to help keep the tank healthy and Brilla happy. Brilla tends to get stuck in his plastic plants and that scares me, so hopefully this will help a bit and at least have softer plants for him to hide in.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Yeah, I am so scared these plastic ones are going to rip his fins, when he hears a loud noise or something he turns into a dolphin and dives into the plastic plants and he has a hard time getting out.

I am just excited to finally have proper filtration and heat so now he can come join us in the living room! *BOUNCINGS *SUPERSMIL

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I am thinking Moss balls, dwarf sag. , and dwarf hairgrass... anyone who knows more about plants care to chime in and let me know if these are OK and if there is a more bushy plant I could use that woulden't take over a small tank? Ramshorn sounds like a good idea though, but maybe only 1.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
In my 7 gallon betta tank I have green hygro, red ludwigia, corkscrew val and dwarf sag. The corkscrew val and red ludwigia are growing slowly, the green hygro grows pretty good and fills in the space. The dwarf sag is sprouting runners all over.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Hummm I like the green hygro, Looks like a nice contrast with dark substrate. :) do you think I have good enough conditions for the red ludwigia?

I actually have an artificial corkscrew val in my 75gal, it's one of my favorite plastic plants, so I will definitly keep my eye out for some live.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Yeah, I only have a 10 watt cf bulb in a 7 gallon tank, so that's not even 1.5 watts per gallon. My red ludwigia is doing pretty good. There was some die off at the bottom but that's because the tank isn't wide enough for the whole plant to get light.