"Betta" pronounciation.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I say bet- ta too. I seem to be one of few at least in my area (In missouri even the pronunciation of the name of the state is a matter of frequent debate) so I looked it up (just to have evidence- I am bullheaded enough to just assume that I was right all along) . The dictionary says bet-ta, and if you think about it there really aren' t any words of latin derivation in which e is pronounced ai. nobody pronounces the full name as Bayta splayndayns, after all.

kikuchiyo

Large Fish
Apr 28, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
and if you think about it there really aren' t any words of latin derivation in which e is pronounced ai

The "betta" in Betta splendens isn't from Latin, it's from Thai or Malay I believe. Splendens is from latin.

It's somewhat similar to a Hindi/Urdu word, but whether they come from the same root is beyond me (SE Asian languages does have major Subcontinental influence on it, so I wouldn't be suprirsed).

Last edited:

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I knew splendens was- wow I feel dumb- I have always read that it means splendid warrior but have never found betta in a latin dictionary. Which would make sense if it's Thai. Should have looked at the etymology instead of just vindicating myself with the pronunciation :D Can I cop out and say "oh I know - meant the latinized version of the word betta." ;)

Izz

Small Fish
Aug 8, 2004
Visit site
I try to go for a mix between each words, but it usually ends up as one or the other. I say bettah, and people look at me stupid. I say bayta, and I feel stupid.

Either way there is stupidness. It's great.