Betta Question

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
Ok I have two males and they are in a small split tank. There is no filtration and no lamp or heater. Seems that that is how everyone says they should be but I can't put the two together. My friend who owns a shop told me it would be ok to keep them like this as long as I change the water and don't put them in a room that is to cold. Can someone help me and if anyone knows of a tank that has a split in it and filtration and heater please let me know.

I am not trying to be mean to my fish I have a 38 gallon tank for cichlids but there is way yo much salt in that to get one of those things that sit inside the tank to put them in. plus the fish is for my girlfriend who loves these fish

don't really need a heater in a tank that small...you'd cook the fish. I don't have a heater in either my 5 gallon or my 2 gallon betta tanks in the summer, and i'm not even sure i'll need them in this winter.

oof...2 in a one gallon...at the least, i'd get another 1 gallon and let them each have one, or look for a 5 gallon that you could divide. I'd worry less about heating, and more about getting them more space...aquarium kits usually come with filtration and lighting anyway. Just cause they *can* live in tiny spaces, doesn't mean they like to.

kikuchiyo

Large Fish
Apr 28, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
I disagree, kinda. A heater is way to small for a gallon tank, but I have a 25 watt heater in my 2 gallon betta tank (with one occupant) and its doing fine. I still have to keep an eye on it and I made sure to get a recommended brand. Bettas are very much tropical fish and they need to be at 74+, and a steady temperature at that. Your fish defintely need more space - one gallon a piece means you're doing (or should be) at least one water change every three days. Less than a gallon is close to just cruel. My 2 gallon has one betta and I do a 30-50% every week at least.

Yeah, one gallon is not enough. Go get a 10 gallon from wal-mart (10 bucks) and put a divider down the middle and a wiremesh screen on top. If you can get the heater then too and worry about filtration later. That's much better than your current setup. The fish need at least a gallon a piece, and they do much, much better with even just two. Additionally, bettas are hardy fish but they thrive on warm temperatures - that's one major requirement for them. Unless you keep your fish room at a steady 80+ degrees (water is always a few degrees colder than the ambient air) you need a heater.

There's a definte difference between a betta surviving and one thriving. A betta may survive at room temperature, but they're not supposed to be at it and there are long term health problems with that kinda set up. Not to mention, no house I've ever been in (except for dedicated fish or bird breeders with special rooms) ever held a steady temp.

Becareful with the light - those incandescent bulbs warm the water several degrees (more than is good for your fish on a long term).

Last edited:

izabeau

Medium Fish
Mar 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I have a 5 gallon tank with 2 male betta's that I have split down the middle with one of those plastic dividers, I just cut it to size, and I have an aquaclear mini for filtration, set on low, ( I cut a hole in the top of the divider so that the filtration flows on either side of the tank and so that the intake tube of the filter is as close to the middle as possible) and a small heater made for 5 gallons or less. This set up works for me and my fish seem happy, and I don't have to clean the tank as often. You might try that.

Bettas are very much tropical fish and they need to be at 74+...A betta may survive at room temperature, but they're not supposed to be at it and there are long term health problems with that kinda set up.
what do you consider "room temperature"? Here my fish room's "room temperature" IS 74-76 degrees...we don't use air conditioning. There may be a 2-4 degree temp change throughout the day, but nothing more than my tank with a heater expereiences. Needing a heater really depends on where you are, and what your house climate is like. If you keep your air on all day and your house at 65, then ya, you need a heater, year round. I'm more worried about july and august when its 110-115 outside and i can only get my temp DOWN to 80 in the house.

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
Well my room drops over night to 65 so I have them in the kitchen which is pretty stead at about 75 in the summer months like july it stays about the same. As far as water changes I do them just about every 3 - 4 days. I am between jobs right now so getting another tank, filtration and such while for a tank that size isn't much money it is to hard for me as well I got my girlfriend this betta becasue she really liked them but then my mom went out and get her this Dual Hex Kit by Lee I think and another betta so i really don't want to offend my mom...

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Maybe you could explain to your Mom that the way Bettas are marketed is the problem, and it isn't her fault that she bought something insufficient for them. People do it every day- I doubt she would find that offensive. It really isn't her fault- the way pet stores package "betta products" really is deceptive.

Barbie

Small Fish
Jun 3, 2004
Colorado
Visit site
I agree with the size of tanks for bettas (one gal minimum). I keep one of my bettas in a 2.5 gal and the other in a 1 gal. My friends keep a betta where we work and he's in a dual hex without dividers and it's still waaaay too small....even a 1 gal pickle jar is better than that.