Betta tail not growing back

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone. I just have a question about my betta's tail. I have had him a few months, and when I got him his tail was normal. However, about a month or two ago I noticed that it seemed as if someone had taken scissors and cut it off straight down, so now he has a nub:rolleyes: I thought it would naturally start coming back by now, but it hasn't. Do you think I should treat it with some fin rot meds or something? Thank you!:)

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
I have never seen him chew his tail... and I've watched him quite a bit since he's by my bed. He has no tankmates, so it isn't like anyone else has chewed on it. There is nothing sharp in the tank that I can think of, so I have no idea what he could have ripped it on if that is the case. Hmmm...:confused:

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
I have the same problem with my betta, Steve French xD I had him with other tank mates for awhile, and I'm not sure if he's ever eaten his own tail. I was hoping it would grow back after awhile but it's not doing it. I currently have him alone; is there anything to add to the water to help him grow it back?

Any help would be good for both me and megskee, I think xD
Thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It isn't an antibiotic... it's safe for anything in the tank and will not effect the good bacteria in the tank (I'm not sure how it fights infections, but I believe it claims to...). It definitely does help fins grow back, assuming there is not something still actively damaging them (like other fish that keep nipping).

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Melafix is more of a "herbal remedy" so don't be worried about over using it. Mind you - garlic has anti-biotic qualities too - but same as Melafix, it's not regarded as "artificial medication".

We did have a case a while back where the culprit took a while to be found ....... it was the cat !

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Be careful with the Melafix and a betta.

It comes in a form called bettafix because the melafix can burn their labyrinth organ in normal concentrations. What I do is look at the teeny tiny expensive little bettafix bottle at the store, note the concentration, and just water down my melafix to match (not the whole bottle, of course, I need it sometimes for other types of fish!) and use it like bettafix. It's the same stuff, just weak enough for bettas.

If I could remember the proper concentration, I'd post it, but it's been quite a while since I needed it.

You might google fin rot and look at some pics. If the melafix doesn't do it you might have to go to something stronger.

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Oh wow, thanks very much for the info, homebunnyj! :) Now that you say that, it rings a bell. I remember using bettafix for something before, I think. I'll have to go look and see what the [] is of the bettafix so I can save some money... thanks for the tip, by the way!*thumbsup2

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
I found it for you :) "Use six drops per pint, 12 drops per quart or 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of betta bowl water. Repeat dose daily for up to seven days before making a water change."

Thats from amazon :D

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Well, I started the melafix treatment yesterday. It was finally a good time to clean the tank, so I went ahead and filled it up with new water, and then put the Melafix in. I hope "Bosco" has some luck with the treatment. If not, I probably won't try anything stronger, because it isn't a serious problem, is it? He's sooo pretty though, I would really like to see his colors come out in a longer tail. He's like a rainbow of pastel colors :)