Betta tank question

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Ok Kids, heres the deal. I do my weekly water changes for Flounder religiously, I have the algae pretty much under control, I don't overfeed him, and my water parameters are as they have always been - near perfect. Yet, my tank looks gross. bleh. there is, for lack of a better term, gunk build-up on the plants and gravel, there are those little water bugs swimming around (the little ones that take care of excess waste...), and i just dont know what I'm doing wrong...

I use natural spring water, betta bowl buddies, and i change the little carbon filter every two weeks....I feed Flounder between 10-15 Hikari Tropical Micro-Pellets once a day, and I generally fast him on Sundays.

So, any suggestions...? I mean, Flounder is still happy and making his bubble nests every few days, swimmin around like normal, but I don't like him swimming around in nasty looking water :(

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
is he eating all those pellets? I think the normal feeding is 2-3 pellets, once or twice a day?
I could be wrong on that btw, what does it say on the bottle?( I just know most betta pellets are 2-3 twice daily)

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I have no experience with the micro-pellets. My bettas have hikari betta bio-gold. They get two pellets daily.
Do you vacuum your gravel? You have to in order to keep the crud out of it. Otherwise-- yuck!!
What are the 'bugs' in your water? I've never had anything like that in my tanks that I have noticed. Does your betta eat them? Could they be daphnia or something? The bacteria that keep your water in good shape are microscopic.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I found that when I had a betta in a 1 gallon tank, it was a real pain to clean it. How much of a water change are you doing every week? What kind of filtration does it have?

I found that a turkey baster was a good way to clean the substrate better, as most siphons are too big to effectively use in a tank that size, and using airline tubing just wasn't working for me.

May 12, 2005
Georgia
I have a betta in the same size tank. Is your water change 100 %? Do you rinse the gravel out too? I do a 100% each week and rinse the plants and gravel. Also, I am not familiar with that brand of pellets but with the ones I use I only feed my betta 3-4 pellets daily. Do they sink to the bottom or do they float? I am just wondering if he actually eats all the pellets or if they are sinking to the bottom and not getting eaten.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
On the food: the micro-pellets are not a betta formulated pellet, they are much, much smaller than betta food and the packaging, of course, only recommends how much your fish will eat in a few minutes. So, I feed him the 10-15 pellets and he eats them all in about 30seconds. I always watch to make sure that he eats them all so that I know that I am not over-feeding him and to make sure that I am not accumulating excess waste.

On the cleaning: I do about a 50% water change so that the tank doesnt have to re-cycle over and over again...Should I be doing a full tank change? I do rinse off my plants every week, but not the gravel - because that is where the majority of the bacteria is (according to my research on cycling).

On the water bugs: Yes, homebunnyj, I believe they are daphnia, so they are causing no harm to my little fishy, but i just don't like to see them because i know that they are there because I am, apparently, not doing a good enough job....

On the filtration: It is a make-shift filter made from an elbow and a carbon filter cartrige. I change out the cartridge every 2-weeks, as directed on the packaging.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, let me know on the full water change, and gravel rinse, if that is ok with the cyclign issue.

May 12, 2005
Georgia
I am by no means an expert but I can tell you what I do with the same size tank. I do a 100% water change every week including rinsing the gravel and the plants. I actually have two tanks that size with one betta in each one. I am not sure that we have to worry about tank cycling with tanks so small it is just better to 100% change the water each week but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. My bettas seem happy and healthy so it is working for me and I guess for them.