betta tank

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
i resqued one of those tetra water wonders kits(opinion on this set up are welcome) i fixed a crack and polished the sratchs and scuffs out and anyway im thinking of putting a female betta in here now i had a betta when i was little in a bowl and i remeber feeding her once a day and changing the water weekly and she lived for 3 years but with this set up and not sure what exactly to do do i do what i do with my large tetra tanks clean gravel once every 2 months and do 25 percent water changes every week mew filter cartrides every month or is this a harder set up to have and are they any specific things i need to do it has a heater and a whisper 3i filter oh last time i was at the lps i saw betta fish water conditioner i use stress coat in al my other tanks can i do the same here i planing to get the fish and the pellet food next week so if i need specal stuff please mention

Jun 21, 2008
First of all, you should vacuum the gravel every time you do a water change. That's how many of us do the water change, actually. Just vacuum the gravel until you've removed however much water you're taking out. I would think that the standard 25% once a week water change with some gravel vacuuming and the same schedule for your filter changes would work for this set up. Small set ups can be a pain because if something goes wrong it happens pretty fast, but as long as you keep an eye on the water parameters, (which you should be used to doing from your other tanks), you should be ok. I would think that the Stress Coat would work, I don't know that the "betta water" has any special properties, but others might have more to say about that. Also, would it be possible to get some punctuation and maybe capitalization? Not to be mean, but I find it difficult to read your posts when they're misspelled and often one long run on sentence. I just think you might get more help if people could sort through your thoughts better. Just some friendly advice :)

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Don't change out your filter cartridges every month. Instead, rinse them in dechlorinated water so as not to kill off the nitrifying bacteria that keep your tank healthy. Otherwise I agree with what is posted just above.

You can use your regular water conditioner.

Dec 26, 2008
Yep, use the stress coat for the water conditioner. That's what I use for my betta tank. As for the vacuuming would do it once a week, in both your betta and tetra tank. Personally i would not wait anymore that 2 weeks between each vacuuming, 1 week is even better though.

Good Luck!