Betta tankmate

ty6464

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2004
Georgia, USA
Visit site
I am planning on having a betta in a 5 gallon hex soon. I was wondering what would be a good clean up crew in there. I am catious about snails because I know they can reproduce very fast and would soon take over my tank. Cory catfish probably wouldn't work because there isn't enough floorspace and not enough room in general. Does anyone have ideas on what could go in there? Suggestions are appreciated.

ecotank

Superstar Fish
Aug 30, 2003
Palm Springs, Ca
home.earthlink.net
Usually iodine is given as a sickness treatment in the form of salt, it's not really recommended unless your treating your fish for a specific illness (unless you have brackish fish).

If you plan to plant this tank another option is the Amano shrimp, similar to the ghost shrimp but much hardier and often more entertaining too.

Dwarf Frogs are also a favorite tankmate for bettas, they seem to ignore each other for the most part.

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I find dwarf frogs pretty boring, they don't move much are are pretty much blind.

Ghost shrimp would eat fallen pellets or flakes, they will nibble on a shrimp pellet also.

Iodine? I don't think its necessary, but I can't really say either way with any authority.

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
I had ghost shrimp for a bit, til one escaped and both died. Supposedly they need brackish water or something. But my betta only pecked at them a bit at first then left them alone. And once I found the shrimp holding onto the betta's back fin and being pulled around, til the betta flipped it across the tank lol. Course, my betta is a bit tame to begin with. Not highly aggressive.