Betta to a bigger tank, need info please!

Mar 27, 2007
Hey guys
I am very new to the aquarium world, and i need some information! i have a siamese fighting fish[ which i have dubbed Crabs] and i think its crule to keep him in those lil tanks you get for them. So i am thinkyinh of upgrading to a bigger tank for his sake and my sanity! Now what i was wondering, cause its a bigger tank, can i put other fish in with him? i was thinking of 2 albino corydaras[cause thay are bottom eatersd and shouldnt bother him] and a plecostomus. Is this ok? What other fish would be better? Any info would be great
Tnak you very much
Sheblom

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
A lot of you stocking choices would be dependent on how large a tank you get. Bettas can do fine in larger tanks. Sometimes, it takes them a little while to get their "sealegs" once liberated from the little cups as they build up muscle with all the new exercise. Cories are great tankmates for bettas but like to move in larger groups, if possible -- 4, 5, 10, 30.... ;) Most plecos need quite a bit of room, so it would depend on what species you liked and how large a tank we're discussing here. The only typically poor tankmates for bettas are other labyrinth fish and fish which somewhat resemble bettas (i.e., male guppies) -- that's not to say it can't be done, just that most attempts don't particularly work out. :eek:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Are you looking at getting like a 10G?? I say that if you went with a smaller pleco (not the Common) that you would be fine. Look into Rubbernose plecos. They are cute and stay pretty small. And I think that 3 Cories would be a great number. :D

Mar 27, 2007
i am thinking of getting a 50l tank with a trickle filter! and maybe 3 to 4 cories! and information advice would be appreciated! i am very new to this!!

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
i really don't know liters well.. but is that somewhere in the range of 20 gallons? if so, i think that's a great size for a first tank. i think 4 cories would be great, and like fishgeek said, a rubbernose pleco (they're easy to find at most pet stores), and i think you could also do a school of small fish in that size tank as well; some good choices are neon tetras, cherry barbs, harlequin rasboras.. there are lots of great options! welcome to MFT! :D

Mar 27, 2007
thanks alot man! i think that is about 15gallons, but i am not too sure! Will update as i go along! will hopefullly be getting the tank etc this weekend! *thumbsups

cchase85

Large Fish
Jun 6, 2006
New England
4 liters is a gallon (approx). A 50 liter tank is about 13 gallons.

Although you already seem to have strayed away from it, avoid putting a common pleco in a tank that small, as he won't be the right size for very long.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I was happy to see this thread. I sent my cracked Eclipse 6 tank back to Marineland and I'm hoping for a replacement. I've been thinking about using it for a betta and was also wondering what goes well with bettas.

Good luck with yours!

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Bettas (Fighting fish) Will continue to exist in very small "tanks". But to be happy (As with all fish) they really need to be in a large enough area to swim around. Especially with some "Landscaping" to hide and play in. Java fern and bogwood are really cool. I.M.O. keeping them in a small jar is REALLY cruel. So good on you for giving the poor little blighter some room.
In spite of the name these are peaceful creatures and my three exist quite happily in a 110 U.K. Gallon tank with pictus, Gouramies, a plec, Clown Loach, Angels etc etc.. Just make sure that their tank mates are not big enough to eat them.. (Fish do that) or small enough to be eaten (Siamese fighters do that as well). try to keep away from long finned fish such as Guppies etc. Also there is a very basic dilike of dwarf Gouramies. Apart from that ..... Help yourself.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree with the suggestions above. Most bettas do fine with tankmates who 'mind their own business' :) I would suggest getting an apple snail instead of a pleco for that size of a tank...as that would free up enough room in the tank for a school of something. I would personally either pick a school of cories (4 or 5), or a fish that stays small and schools well like cardinal tetras or harlequins (5-7).

BUT don't forget, that you need to get the new tank up and running and cycled before adding any fish besides the betta. You could fishless cycle (which I would highly reccomend) or get some biospira (which would be the quick and easy way...although a little more expensive) or cycle with the betta. Betta's tend to do better with a cycling tank than some other fish because they breathe differently...but you still have to pay attention to the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and make sure to keep up with water changes.

Oh, and in a bigger tank, don't forget a heater :)

Welcome to the hobby...its a blast! :)