England - Sheffield
www.myfishtank.net
hi im going to get a betta next friday to complete my 10 gallon tank

4 neon tetras
4 glow light tetrs
3 guppies (male)
1 betta.

(dont say its to full)

i went down today and got my guppies and saw them in those glass jars and decided i had to save one my question is do bettas swim around to top middle or bottom area of the tank?

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Betta's are considered surface dwellers, and indeed do need to occassionally "breath air" for survival. They store air in a modified swim bladder called the labarynth organ that subliments the oxygen they remove from the water with their gills.

Betta's are definately surface feeders, although many will modify their behavior to chase down food particles that do not float long enough. The more comfortable a betta feels in its habitat, the more of the tank space, including middle and lower levels, it will use. My betta basically has an entire six gallon tank to itself, except for two bottom dwelling cories. He utilizes the entire volume of water, swimming at all levels, and even resting in the holes and crevices created by the rockwork.

Be aware that even though neons and glo-lites are relatively docile fish, they may be tempted to nip the longer fins of a betta tankmate. My own glo-lites used to do so occassional. The betta may also harass the male guppies, being as how male guppies have long fins and bright colors very similar to a rival male betta.

~~Colesea

jabce85

Large Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Evansville, Indiana
Well, my betta, when he was in my 10 gallon, used to like to wrap his fins around the bottom of my anacharis and just sit there. It was really wierd, but if he liked it, I can't complain.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
My personal experiences have always been with male bettas, since I enjoy their bright colors and finage as ceterpieces for micro-habitats. There are several threads in the betta section of this website that weigh the pros and cons of each sex.
~~Colesea

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Bettas and guppies don't mix, at all, as he matures he will kill them all. It's not the right fish for that tank community. If you want to 'save' a betta from a store, get a 2 to 6 gal tank for him exclusively, bettas are not social fish, they don't like sharing their space.

Bettas are top level fish, so a wider vs taller tank is preferred.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hmmm.. you said don't say its full.. but it IS full and you know it don't you!

Maybe work on your 25 gal or spend the money on some decorations, but don't ask me if your overstocked when you know you are.