Betta *URGENT* Question

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
i recently purchased a female betta for my 55 gal. tank. at my LFS they said the the females were extremly peaceful. and i have not seen anythign to doubt that but I've been reading on here and people have been saying its bad to mixs females bettas with other fish. is it? They are also in the tank with two newly aquired blue gourami that as far as i can tell are both female as well. They seem to get along fine and even one gourami seem sprotective of the betta let me know please

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
It really depends on the female betta. Some females, called Alpha's, will exhibit male behaviors, and can be just as aggressive as males.

Generally, females are used to more crowded tanks, so they typically are not aggressive, but be prepared to seperate and return her.

Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
A female "blue" dwarf gourami would be white or grey. Occasionally yellowish. If its blue, its male. Also femals have a "circular" patch that makes their dorsal fin look like it ends in a bulb.

Female Betta will be fiiiine. Just keep that current low. My buddy has 7 dwarf gouramis with a female betta. Going on a year, not one bite.

Nov 15, 2004
St. Catharines, Ont.
Visit site
The only problem I could see are the fact that gouramis and bettas are both fish that have a labyrinth organ, and because of this similarity, the males have been known to pick on each other.
However, your betta is a girl. This should make everything okay.
Like Iggy said, be prepared to separate/return her though.. it's a possibility that she could turn out to be insanely aggresive. Just as a precaution, have something ready.
:)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Originally posted by SpanishGuy111
A female "blue" dwarf gourami would be white or grey. Occasionally yellowish. If its blue, its male. Also femals have a "circular" patch that makes their dorsal fin look like it ends in a bulb.
Shipley was talking about female blue gouramis, not female dwarf gouramis. Female blue gouramis look similar to males, and are still blue.

I agree that they should be fine together. If they've been fine thus far, with no chasing, then I think she won't cause problems.

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
Update everythign is going splendid no chasing no nothing!she is quite beautiful and one gourami protects her its really cute! but I fear i've lost one kuhli loach as it has not been seen for two days and i did a 20% water change today and i still didnt' see it any where

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Kuhlis have the ability to hide very well. Keep an eye out for a week or so, and he may turn up. Also, try looking later at night, as they are more active then.