Betta with dropsy

Oct 22, 2004
Toronto, ON
Visit site
A few days ago I noticed that my betta, who has been living in a community tank with other fish, seemed swollen in the body and his scales were a bit puffed out. He also had stringy-looking whitish poop, his face was very pale and he wasn't eating or moving much - normally he's very active. I put him into a separate tank and turned up the heat and added some aquarium salt. I went to the store to get some antibiotics but the guy that I asked said there is no cure for dropsy and that my betta will just die eventually. But two days later, he's swimming quite actively, flaring his fins, and the swelling and puffiness have gone down. The colour has returned to his face, and the thing that surprised me the most is that he's built a big bubble-nest, something that I thought only healthy males do. His poop is still funny-looking though, and he's barely eating anything. What's the deal? :confused: Is he going to get better or will he die? Is there anything I can do for him?
I'd greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

~pinnymu

It could be internal parasites as opposed to dropsy. If caught early, dropsy sometimes can be beaten...but without you adding any medication to the tank, I tend to think it may not have been dropsy.

I would recommend keeping him permanently in the separate tank. Bettas really do not do well in community tanks. He will be happier and healthier in his own space.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
White stringy poop + swollen abdomen are the symptoms of a betta virus breeders have discovered. It is very contagious to other bettas, and unlike dropsy, a betta will survive with the virus provided he/she does not get a secondary infection. The virus is know to make the betta infertile and shorten their lifespan.

Not a lot is known about this virus and some stores/breeders claim it's a hoax but I have personally seen over 50 betta's infected with this virus. A local breeder lost 95% of her stock to it in one year.

There are no known treatments, as it is not bacterial. Just keep him quaranteened and comfortable.

Oct 22, 2004
Toronto, ON
Visit site
thanks so much for all the replies. I'm making sure that his water and food are of the best quality, and he still seems to be doing fine other than the stringy poop - he's eating a little more now and still keeping at the nest-building! Would it be alright to treat him with meds if I"m not sure whether he really has parasites? I'm thinking he probably doesn't have them and that he may have the virus that Iggy mentioned, since he seemed to improve without me doing much, but I"d rather be safe than sorry.

Personally, I would try it. It sure sounds like internal parasites to me. Your fish is obviously sick from the symptoms you described, treat him for internal parasites. Here's a good page on internal parasites http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquasource/ipmetro.html Find out if you can get your hands on the Metrondiazole or the Jungle fizzy tabs, that will determine your course of treatment. Jungle also makes a food for internal parasites, pick that up as well if you can find it.

As for him getting better. I had a gourami that had them, and now I am pretty sure that he had them when I bought him in april. I would see him bloat and poop white...but then it would seem to go away. He always ate like a pig and was out in the middle of things...but that changed recently. Healthy fish seem to be able to battle with them for a while, but they will eventually lose the battle. My guy died a week ago...the treatments didn't work, but I think it was too little to late. The sooner you treat them, the eaiser it is to get rid of them.

Last edited: