betta with neons

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
hi i have rether foolisly bought a betta on inpulse as i think thay look butiful. the only problem i have is that it doesent like neons or any other fish that strays near his rock.

the betta seams to have taken up residence in a huge false fock i have in the center of my tank. any fish that goes near it gets chased away. i have already found a dead neon.

my question is what can i do about it.

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
Nope. Bettas really need to have thier OWN space. A Betta is a tropical fish, goldfish are coldwater, so I would really suggest you get some sort of jar with water from your tropical tank. He'll be fine in a jar until you find some other sort of container/tank that he can live in.

freshyyf

Small Fish
May 10, 2005
It actually depends on your betta. My male betta is totally fine with the neon tetra but my female betta attacked and ate them!!!! So, the answer can really be arguable. And so far, I think betta is the most interesting fish in terms of personality! They are all different! I have 2 half-moon and 1 crowntail male betta, 3 female betta. They are all VERY different, for example eating behaviour and flaring. Some like to be touch, some like to jump, some just like to hide away.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi. I know this is late to respond to your question but here is my experience. I have a 10 gal tank with three neon tetras, four glowlight tetras and one male betta. He does chase the fish now and then but has not hurt them. I guess we have been lucky and our male betta is calmer than most. The water temperature is about 78 - 80 degrees. Your water may be too cold for the betta making him angry. Good luck.