Betta with tetras?

tramca

Large Fish
Mar 10, 2003
Liverpool/England
Visit site
I have a 10g planted tank. It has 4 black neons, 4 xray tetras, 1 small mollie(my last remaining fry), i tiny neon, and 3 glolight tetras.
Would a male fighter be ok in there, or would they nip him?
I'm happy with the tank as it is now, I have black gravel, a bamboo tunnel, and lots of plants with a black background.
I just feel a bit of colour would be nice.

What do you think?

kikuchiyo

Large Fish
Apr 28, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Livebearers can be a problem with bettas (they can all be pretty nippy with something as laid back as a betta), but the nicer tetras are okay. Black skirts are out - I stupidly kept one with a betta as a kid and the poor fish never got a moment's peace. They might be slightly better behaved in groups, but I wouldn't keep a betta with them.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont think I'd add a betta. With that many fish in a 10G I'd be more worried that there isn't enough room for the betta to get out of everyone's way like they like to.

AquaticGem

Medium Fish
May 20, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
www.bettatudes.com
If those are black skirt tetras, I'd not place a betta in the tank with them. I have heard many people warn against mixing bettas with black skirts.

As for the size of the tank, and the fish you already have, I'll have to agree with Froggy and Iggy; the tank is pretty stocked as it is, and a betta needs some swimming room.

If you still decide to get a betta anyway, I'd try a female betta, instead of a male. With the shorter fins, there might be less of a problem, and the females can be just as colourful as the males.

Bruckm

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Texas
Visit site
an example

Here's what can happen with a betta in a community tank. This just happened to me. Now, it's not the rule as my 20G has been going for months now with a betta and Mollys/Platys/ Glowlight Tetras/Corys/Shrimp and no problems.
However, this is after less than 1 week together! Most of the fish here are the same that were in the 20G, but 2 new Mollys were not and the male seems the likely cuplrit!! So, beware and listen to the wise sages here. Profit from the mistakes of others!!!