Betta won't/can't eat again

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
When I first got him I had him in a 1/2 gallon and he wouldn't eat at first. At best he would grab the pellets and it would fall out of his mouth or he would spit it out. But then eventually he came around and loved Hikari pellets. I moved him to a 5.5g right now and he seems to like it. But now he grabs at the pellets and they seem to just float back out of his mouth. After that he just looks at them then leaves them alone. One time he even grabbed all three, one at a time then all three floated out right out of his mouth! Should I be worried about this, or is he just somehow adjusting to his new tank again? He does the same thing when I feed him freeze dried blood worms. :confused:

Mar 11, 2003
Bettas are THE pickiest eaters. I'd give him some time. Bettas can live up to a week or more with out food, and when he's hungry enough, he'll eat. You can buy him different types of food to feed him, but sometimes they get spoiled on treats like freeze dried bloodworms. I would get him eating the pellets for a while, and occassionally give him BWs.

Alexa

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I have to hand select the pellets to feed my betta because some are too big to fit in his little mouth. He does the same thing - the pellet will be in his mouth but becasue he cannot swallow it (it's too big) he spits it out and lets it float away. I have taken to crushing the little pellets with the back of a spoon and feeding him this way. The pieces are small and fit into his mouth. He then gobbles them right down and shakes his body at me for more, more, more!

Bender81

Large Fish
Feb 17, 2005
Toronto
Thanks, hopefully he'll be back to normal in a few days. He seems to need a few days to adjust when he's in a new environment. BTW, I know what you mean by getting constipated easily, hehe. What works for me though is putting up a mirror so he flares up, and it forces him to poop! Works everytime when his belly gets too big. :p

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
My bettas are really picky. I feed them pellets, granules, Betta Min and freeze dried worms. All the bettas really love the granules. A couple of the bettas will tolerate the pellets. None of my bettas liked the Betta Min nor freeze dried worms. They are spoiled. Good luck! :)

Drain

Small Fish
Mar 25, 2005
what they said. They are extremely picky. One of my guys did not eat for a month and a half. (eventually died.) I tried most everything possible. But he just refused to feed.
Of course, he had been ill before.

Apr 14, 2004
Northern Michigan
Visit site
My betta that was on the verge of death the past week that passed away today, only ate bloodworms in the year that I had him. Never ate anything else. No other fish I kept had problems with TetraMin flakes other my first betta that lasted like 2 days.